Canon Community Canon Community

VIP

Re: How much longer will EF be around?

"One should not have to buy the flagship product to get useful weather sealing,..."

Cost vs performance. It costs money to add features like weather sealing.  Gaskets that cover every possible opening doesn't come free.  A Rebel that had the weather sealing of a 1 series or even a 5 series would cost considerably more. How much is the Rebel buying consumer willing to pay?  I don't know, maybe they would. Canon obviously doesn't think so.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
VIP

Dude?

As for "pro" offerings, none of these companies would likely survive for long if they had to depend mostly on pros.

On the contrary my dude friend, the low end market has almost totally evaporated. Basically enthusiasts and pro are all that is left.  Sony makes no pro gear remember!

Valued Contributor

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Dude? 

Well, I didn't want to call you Pops. 

VIP

I do respond to "Pop".  Smiley Happy

VIP

For a beginner check out the Rebel T7i kit.  For advanced check out the 90D with Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens. For the pro the 1DX Mk II and Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens.

VIP

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"One should not have to buy the flagship product to get useful weather sealing,..."

Cost vs performance. It costs money to add features like weather sealing.  Gaskets that cover every possible opening doesn't come free.  A Rebel that had the weather sealing of a 1 series or even a 5 series would cost considerably more. How much is the Rebel buying consumer willing to pay?  I don't know, maybe they would. Canon obviously doesn't think so.

“Sony camera bodies have their share of flaws, and lack of good weather sealing is a major one.  Camera bodies do not have to be “professional grade” to have some degree of protection against dust and moisture.  One should not have to buy the flagship product to get useful weather sealing, either.  

I am not saying [that] only the top of the line products have weather sealing.  But, it just seems like the more consumer oriented camera bodies do not [have] any [even though Sony specs say that they do].”

Context is an amazing thing.

As for how much longer will the EF mount be around goes, it is here to stay.  The EF mount is used in more places besides consumer DSLRs.  Canon is a leading manufacturer of lenses for security cameras, many of which use EF mount lenses.

6576BC20-A628-4650-AC94-56DC2ACE2C05.jpeg  1923B6BC-4AD7-485C-9D3F-1A66EF4511BE.jpeg

Axis and Avigilon are two of the leading manufacturers of security cameras in the world.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."