cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much longer will EF be around?

chahath
Apprentice

I know photography is more than just gear, and a lens that was great 5 years ago didn't get worse just because newer better ones are out, but I fear that if I don't sell my EF lenses soon they'll become worthless when everyone and their dog have moved on to the RF mount. I don't shoot professionally and I'm not made of money, so I'd rather not have to write off all the money I spent on EF lenses if I can avoid some of the loss by selling them while they're still worth something.

91 REPLIES 91

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

As long as there are EF and EF-S cameras being made there will be EF lenses. We have people here who are still using film EOS cameras. The installed base of EOS DLSR's is *huge* and will not go away soon.

Why are you asking us? We have no idea which way the market will go.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

There is not a mirrorless yet that offers the performance of a Canon 1 series so don't expect the EF lenses to disappear soon.

Canon just introduced a newer version of their excellent 400 F2.8 EF that I will be acquiring shortly.  I will be obsolete long before my EF lenses become obsolete 🙂 

The lower end EF lenses (and probably EF-S) will be the first to go as will lower end DSLR bodies as light weight mirrorless bodies chew up some of that market and many more with little understanding of photography will never move up from smartphones to more capable photo gear.  But even in the current dynamic market, lenses aren't a true investment other than a business one for current pros and your money is better off in true financial investments if future value is the concern.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@chahath wrote:

I know photography is more than just gear, and a lens that was great 5 years ago didn't get worse just because newer better ones are out, but I fear that if I don't sell my EF lenses soon they'll become worthless when everyone and their dog have moved on to the RF mount. I don't shoot professionally and I'm not made of money, so I'd rather not have to write off all the money I spent on EF lenses if I can avoid some of the loss by selling them while they're still worth something.

UC Browser SHAREit MX player

Mods delete this trash.  Note the links being peddled at the bottom of this post. 

Edit, seems the OP removed them..

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

If you want some idea of Canon's intentions I recommend reading this extensive interview witht top Canon execs on a number of issues, including lens and body developments.

Imaging Resource Interview with Canon

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

If you want some idea of Canon's intentions I recommend reading this extensive interview witht top Canon execs on a number of issues, including lens and body developments.

Imaging Resource Interview with Canon

I wonder if the "Entry Level" version will have the R mount but an APS-C sensor, presumably making it smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the R. And if so, wouldn't that diminish the possibility of a 7D Mark III? Or even of a 90D?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Robert:  Happy New Year! Smiley Happy

I saw, but cannot find, an item that referred to the continuing expectation for those DSLR crop cameras.  It seems Canon is not shutting up shop on those models as long as there is a demand from customers, and apparently there is demand - I think many users have too much investment in Ef and EF-S lenses and for various reasons (technical, or emotional) are not ready to move to the R mount and mirrorless environment yet, so I think we will still see those units, but as always we have to wait and see...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

2 years give or take!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

2 years give or take!

WIth all due respect I think you are a bit pessimistic there... 

According to Canon's OWN comments in the interview I referred to above, looking at the US market:

"when it comes to digital SLRs and mirrorless, of course the technologies will evolve, and the mirrorless cameras will be getting better and better, and the overall performance could be better than the DSLRs some time later. But when it comes to specific points, like the optical viewfinder, and actually seeing the images in real time, while mirrorless is using sensor-based viewing, through the EVF, that type of specific difference based on the structural difference, we don't know yet if mirrorless can achieve better performance over the DSLR; that we don't know yet.

But generally speaking, the mirrorless technology will keep getting better and better. So we will continue to develop both better DSLR technologies and mirrorless technologies, and we'll see what happens in the future."

AND

"approximately 65-70% of the market is still digital SLRs. Focusing just on mirrorless would not be the right answer at this point. Either DSLR or mirrorless? No, both are important and we must satisfy both."

I can't see the DSLR market collapsing in a couple of years, and with lenses in the pipeline - according to their spokespersons they are still developing EF and EF-M lenses, I think EF lenses will be around for a while, again according to Canon Inc.:

"... we saw very strong demand [for] DSLRs including 5D Mark IV, 6D Mark II, 80D and Rebel series during the holiday shopping season. Also, the EOS M50 has been very popular since its launch.

Canon offers a wider range of cameras and lenses over any other brand to meet various demands of our customers. Currently, we are simultaneously developing new products in the DSLR family, EOS R series and EOS M series. The most important thing for us is to carefully listen to what customers want and make decisions accordingly."

cheers, TREVOR

Hey Canon,

If you want to revolutionize your DSLRs, then give the user the option to set shutter speed in Movie Mode as a shutter angle.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements