cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much longer will EF be around?

chahath
Apprentice

I know photography is more than just gear, and a lens that was great 5 years ago didn't get worse just because newer better ones are out, but I fear that if I don't sell my EF lenses soon they'll become worthless when everyone and their dog have moved on to the RF mount. I don't shoot professionally and I'm not made of money, so I'd rather not have to write off all the money I spent on EF lenses if I can avoid some of the loss by selling them while they're still worth something.

91 REPLIES 91

nikhil0789
Apprentice

Thanks for providing us this valuable knowledge. (Link removed as per forum guidelines) 

win987
Apprentice

My advice to the OP is hang on to the EF lenes he uses the most, start selling off the ones he doesn't really use, and don't invest any more money in new ones. Make use of what you have and plan to move into Canon or N*kon's mirrorless systems in due course. 

michael786
Apprentice

agree with epiggs

2 years give or take!

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!

[links removed per forum guidelines]

@michael786 wrote:

agree with epiggs

2 years give or take!

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!

If EF has only two years left, how do you explain the 1DX Mk III?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Canon will be supporting the EF mount for quite some time.  Their recent statement was that there are no current plans for doing additional development with the EF mount because everything is covered in this very mature mount BUT if there is a significant customer need for something different they will consider a new release since they have that capability.

The only new EF lens I am seriously considering adding is the latest 400 2.8 to take advantage of the weight reduction but I am still using a lot of EF glass I bought back in 2005.  Unlike the rapidly changing technology in sensors, A to D conversion, auto focus, etc. which makes it compelling to keep ugrading bodies to keep up with better low light performance and faster focusing, sharp and fast glass that is 20 years old is still sharp fast glass.  A 1DX 3 will be the fourth 1 series digital I have purchased but I will still be using almost every lens with it that I bought with my 1D Mark II because I feel no need to upgrade the glass.

I am trying to decide whether to get on the 1DX 3 wait list now or to wait a few months for any early production changes to take place based upon initial run feedback but I have no hesitation about buying another expensive EF mount camera.  With current technology, a DSLR is a much better fit for what I do than mirrorless.  The viewfinder and feel of the 1DX family is still the perfect platform for sports, if I was shooting landscapes or studio stuff then mirrorless would be much more compelling to me but if that was my area and I was changing lens systems I would also very seriously consider the jump to medium format rather than a mirrorless full frame. 

For an all around, mid priced camera I can definitely see the reason for mirrorless.  And although not a huge risk, those using mirrorless cameras (or live view all of the time with a DSLR) need to practice the same caution that video cam users have been dealing with for years.  The sensor is subject to damage from sunlight, laser, or in some cases even high power ultra bright LED lights (becoming more common as focused beam lights at stadiums) so be careful where you are aiming your mirrorless when it isn't in use.  With a DSLR, the sensor is only exposed during actual exposure so it is far less subject to those sensor destroying burns.

And on edit, to add to what Ernie said in an earlier post from August about the pro-market being important:  A lot of the features that are developed for the pro bodies trickle down to the prosumer and consumer level offerings over time but would never have happened if the pro-market didn't support the cost of initial resource.  The small market is also a good place to "shake out" new technology to further refine it for the mass market.  This is a common sort of business strategy across industries, for example GM has done this for decades with the Corvette which debuts a lot of new GM research technology which quickly filters to other vehicle offerings.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"If EF has only two years left, how do you explain the 1DX Mk III?"

What does that have to do with a new mirrorless Rebel or xxD series? Exactly nothing! And, there will be a mirrorless pro body coming.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

John_SD
Whiz
TL;DR

scottwuerch
Contributor
The last change, from FD to EF involved a change from a manual focus system to a auto focus system. The way canon wanted to do their auto focus required passing electronics through their mount system. What advantage do the RF lenses bring to the game? Bemoan the change all you want, there is still no shortage of FD lenses to be had. Same will be true of the EF lenses. And as far as the new EOS 1 iteration, I guess the question would be is Canon ready to ditch the pro market for prosumers. As a pro I have $25,000 in EF glass. I would be staying with my existing bodies rather than purchasing a new one every couple years as I and most working pros do.

scottwuerch
Contributor
I may be new here, but I’ve been shooting Canon since the mid 70’s. I’m aware of how they operate. I’m NOT saying they aren’t going to release a pro grade mirrorless. That would be expected based on where they have gone in the past.

The original post was NOT about a pro grade mirrorless, but about the death of the EF mount. And the next was a prediction by one of the members of this group that the next pro grade 1DX (whatever) DSLR would have an RF mount on it. I’m only saying that I doubt the new pro grade mirrorless will carry the 1DX Mark (whatever) moniker.

And unless you have Canon business cards in your wallet with your name on it, your post is great conjecture, but I still have not seen any actual proof of the death of the EF mount.

"The original post was NOT about a pro grade mirrorless, but about the death of the EF mount."

All threads evolve.  This one is no exception. However, If you want very plain and to the point English, EF is dead.  Is that what you want to see? If you truly were with Canon since the 1970's, you went through FL mount, FD mount and now EF mount. The previous one always died. There will be no new EF lenses.

"...your post is great conjecture,..."

Sometimes experienced conjecture is as good as fact. How's this for a prediction?  Not only mirrorless but how about shutterless.  Yeah, that's coming, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements