Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 363
Registered: ‎01-31-2017

Re: How much longer will EF be around?


@ebiggs1 wrote:

The one big problem and perhaps my biggest issue with Nikon whether it is the D5 or D850 is it doesn't feel like a Canon 1 series in your hands. 

 

All cameras have their strong points and weakness.  


I have no problem with how a Nikon feels. The bigger problem for me is the shallow buffer. The D750 holds a measly 13 RAW frames before it buffers out, shooting at full speed. That may be fine at the museum or at the bird bath, and it may be fine when I come upon a desert tortoise, but is no good for me otherwise. And it takes about 8 seconds to drain while writing to a UHS-2 card. Even the 6D2 has a deeper buffer. So that is a much bigger problem for me than the fact that it doesn't "feel" like a Canon 1. 

 

As you noted, they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but a shallow buffer is a real problem for wildlife and outdoors. 

VIP
Posts: 11,213
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: How much longer will EF be around?

"...but a shallow buffer is a real problem for wildlife and outdoors."

 

I agree it isn't good but all cameras have limits. You know that going in. You as the photographer have to work around those. I'm just not a "blame my tools" person.  But you do need to pick the best tool for the job.

 

I don't want to be rude or dis yours or anybodies gear but Nikon's "in general" feel cheap compared to Canon. Now I am mostly talking about the full on pro line of cameras and lenses. However, I think the Rebel is a way more robust camera vs the Nikon equivalent.  Just my very humble opinion and 5+ decades of trial and error.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
Valued Contributor
Posts: 363
Registered: ‎01-31-2017

Re: How much longer will EF be around?


@Waddizzle wrote:

Because he likes to use extenders a lot, I encouraged him to get the 80D over the 7D2.  He also likes to shoot lots of videos of the kids, too, which is why I turned him away from a 7D2.  He dabbles in shooting music videos, too.  He cannot wait to see a 7D3.


Threre have been ongoing rumors that Canon will release the 90D, which will replace both the 80D and 7D2, effectively bringing both cameras to the end of the line. Here are the rumored specs. See Canon Rumors. Supposedly this is coming from a longtime reliable insider voice, who also nailed the 6D2 specs a couple of months before it was released. So we shall see. 

 

Canon EOS 90D Specifications: (Rumored)

  • 32.5mp APS-C DPAF Sensor
  • Dual DIGIC 8
  • Dual SD card slots
  • 10fps still shooting
  • ISO range of 100-51,200
  • 45 AF points (no word on the number of cross-type points)
  • 4K video at 24/25, 30 and 60fps (No word on DPAF in 4K recording)
  • 3.2″ rear articulating LCD
  • Dust and moisture sealing
  • Built-in wifi and Bluetooth
  • $1399 USD price at launch
  • Coming late August 2019
VIP
Posts: 8,177
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: How much longer will EF be around?

[ Edited ]

@John_SD wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Because he likes to use extenders a lot, I encouraged him to get the 80D over the 7D2.  He also likes to shoot lots of videos of the kids, too, which is why I turned him away from a 7D2.  He dabbles in shooting music videos, too.  He cannot wait to see a 7D3.


Threre have been ongoing rumors that Canon will release the 90D, which will replace both the 80D and 7D2, effectively bringing both cameras to the end of the line. Here are the rumored specs. See Canon Rumors. Supposedly this is coming from a longtime reliable insider voice, who also nailed the 6D2 specs a couple of months before it was released. So we shall see. 

 

Canon EOS 90D Specifications: (Rumored)

  • 32.5mp APS-C DPAF Sensor
  • Dual DIGIC 8
  • Dual SD card slots
  • 10fps still shooting
  • ISO range of 100-51,200
  • 45 AF points (no word on the number of cross-type points)
  • 4K video at 24/25, 30 and 60fps (No word on DPAF in 4K recording)
  • 3.2″ rear articulating LCD
  • Dust and moisture sealing
  • Built-in wifi and Bluetooth
  • $1399 USD price at launch
  • Coming late August 2019

Rumors can be fun.  Some of the specs make [me] wonder what were they thinking. 

 

I would hope that the [dual] SD card slots would be UHS-II, not UHS-I.  A 32 MP, 10 fps, successor to the 7D2 would need to write a LOT of data very quickly.  I like the two slots of the same type, though.  At least I hope both SD slots are UHS-II, and not one UHS-I slot and one UHS-II slot..

 

Seeing how the 80D already has 45 cross-type AF points, I would be surprised if they dialed back on that specification.  In fact, seeing how the 7D2 has 65 all cross-type AF points, I would expect the number of AF points to be closer to 65 than 45.

 

I think omitting the GPS found in the 7D2 would be a major mistake.  The GPS has been an appealing feature in the 7D2.  Not including it would put Canon at a distinct disadvantage compared to the competition.  The 6D2 has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS, which I understand is housed in the top of the camera where a flash would be on a Canon crop sensor body.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Valued Contributor
Posts: 363
Registered: ‎01-31-2017

Re: How much longer will EF be around?


@Waddizzle wrote:

@John_SD wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Because he likes to use extenders a lot, I encouraged him to get the 80D over the 7D2.  He also likes to shoot lots of videos of the kids, too, which is why I turned him away from a 7D2.  He dabbles in shooting music videos, too.  He cannot wait to see a 7D3.


Threre have been ongoing rumors that Canon will release the 90D, which will replace both the 80D and 7D2, effectively bringing both cameras to the end of the line. Here are the rumored specs. See Canon Rumors. Supposedly this is coming from a longtime reliable insider voice, who also nailed the 6D2 specs a couple of months before it was released. So we shall see. 

 

Canon EOS 90D Specifications: (Rumored)

  • 32.5mp APS-C DPAF Sensor
  • Dual DIGIC 8
  • Dual SD card slots
  • 10fps still shooting
  • ISO range of 100-51,200
  • 45 AF points (no word on the number of cross-type points)
  • 4K video at 24/25, 30 and 60fps (No word on DPAF in 4K recording)
  • 3.2″ rear articulating LCD
  • Dust and moisture sealing
  • Built-in wifi and Bluetooth
  • $1399 USD price at launch
  • Coming late August 2019

Rumors can be fun.  Some of the specs make wonder what were they thinking. 

 

I would hope that the dust SD card slots would be UHS-II, not UHS-I.  A 32 MP, 10 fps, successor to the 7D2 would need to write a LOT of data very quickly.  I like the two slots of the same type, though.  At least I hope both SD slots are UHS-II, and not one UHS-I slot and one UHS-II slot..

 

Seeing how the 80D already has 45 cross-type AF points, I would be surprised if they dialed back on that specification.  In fact, seeing how the 7D2 has 65 all cross-type AF points, I would expect the number of AF points to be closer to 65 than 45.

 

I think omitting the GPS found in the 7D2 would be a major mistake.  The GPS has been an appealing feature in the 7D2.  Not including it would put Canon at a distinct disadvantage compared to the competition.  The 6D2 has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS, which I understand is housed in the top of the camera where a flash would be on a Canon crop sensor body.


Well, when I look at recent Canon releases, I am struck by the fact that Sony has nothing to fear, as the company is really without rival at this point in time. Its planned September release of the mirrorless 61 MP A7R4 monster is a case in point. By contrast, anemic,safe and slow seem to be Canon's guiding philosophy these days, sad to say. The company's recent releases have been disappointing to say the least. I expect the trend to continue. 

Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 8,177
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: How much longer will EF be around?


@John_SD wrote:

Well, when I look at recent Canon releases, I am struck by the fact that Sony has nothing to fear, as the company is really without rival at this point in time. Its planned September release of the mirrorless 61 MP A7R4 monster is a case in point. By contrast, anemic,safe and slow seem to be Canon's guiding philosophy these days, sad to say. The company's recent releases have been disappointing to say the least. I expect the trend to continue. 


I suppose Sony has nothing fear from Canon. Canon gear works as advertised, without any hidden surprises like short battery life.  But I will give Sony credit, though, because they have tried hard to significantly improve battery life.

 

Like I said, the Sony cameras are not the land of milk and honey that they might seem to be a first glance.  The camera do have some significant issues.  People are realizing that banding in Sony bodies is real.  It seems that it only occurs when you use the silent shutter mode with faster shutter speeds.

 

The A7r4 monster has its’ own set of flaws and issues.  The pixel shift to create a 240 MP image is a neat trick.  But no one has seen the software to process the 1 GB files.  The individual 61 MP files are about 120 MB in size.  The effects of the rolling shutter across the entire sensor creates very distorted images.  The 4K is usable provided the camera is fixed, and nothing in the frame moves very fast or very far. 

 

There are more issues with the A7r4: i.e.; the only way to get AF eyeball tracking in video modes is to use native Sony lenses. Tony Northrup explains those problems and a host of other issues in his latest video.  He does not like the camera, which says a lot because he has become a mirrorless camera fanboy over the past year  Jared Polin is not a fan, either!

 

Like I said, there is far more to photography than the camer body.  The body is the least important piece of lithe puzzle.  In the order of most important to least importance, it is photographer, lens, and then camera body.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
VIP
Posts: 11,213
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: How much longer will EF be around?

"I suppose Sony has nothing fear from Canon"

 

That is simply backwards, Canon has nothing to fear from Sony.  No matter what specs Sony may try and cram into a camera they do not produce professional gear.  Now let's consider the Sony lens line up to Canon's! Are you kidding, Canon has nothing to fear from Sony.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
Valued Contributor
Posts: 363
Registered: ‎01-31-2017

Re: How much longer will EF be around?

Dude, get real. I was clealry referring to mirrorless offerings. Canon is not even close to being able to compete with what Sony offers. They are years behind and they will remain so at the rate they are releasing flop after flop. That isn't even debatable. As for "pro" offerings, none of these companies would likely survive for long if they had to depend mostly on pros. It is the hobbyist and enthusiast that bring in the money. 

 

 

VIP
Posts: 8,177
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: How much longer will EF be around?

[ Edited ]


"I suppose Sony has nothing fear from Canon"

 

That is simply backwards, Canon has nothing to fear from Sony.  


The comment was a surrender.  I was not trying to get into a flame war.  

 

Sony camera bodies have their share of flaws, and lack of good weather sealing is a major one.  Camera bodies do not have to be “professional grade” to have some degree of protection against dust and moisture.  One should not have to buy the flagship product to get useful weather sealing, either.  

 

I am not saying [that] only the top of the line products have weather sealing.  But, it just seems like the more consumer oriented camera bodies do not [have] any [even though Sony specs say that they do].  

 

Protection against dust is just as important as protection against moisture.  Case in point.  The EOS R covers its’ image sensor when there is no lens attached.  I do not know if the EOS RP has this feature, but it should if it doesn’t.

 

There is a crowd that raves about Sony AF.  I have already cited its’ flaws, which they have tried to correct in the A7r4.  Sony seems to have finally figured out how to smoothly track and focus on a subject in video modes.  Canon has had this feature for years  with the second generation of Dual Pixel AF.

 

Personally, I do not think the average consumer needs a 61 MP camera.

 

CD57BA11-758F-4187-A172-D3241162BF5A.jpeg

 

The above image was shot with 14 MP 1D4 using an EF 35mm f/2 IS USM lens.  Looks plenty sharp and high resolution for me.  

 

When you post to social media, the images often times are downsized.  Sometimes you [encounter] file size limits like this forum.  In my experience, the “low resolution” images, 16 MP or less, look better under these circumstances.

 

DDE228B9-0EB6-4DD7-A36A-7B26007FD2CA.jpeg

 

Here is color version of a cropped mage that I recently posted as a full size 26 MP black and white image.  

 

2019_05_271004039-3.jpg

 

The color version is not as sharp because it had to [be] downsized for posting on social media.  The 14 MP color image is far sharper than the 26 MP cropped color image.  

 

In other words, most consumers do not need 61 MP.  There are a limited number of shooting scenarios where the 61 MP will make a difference to a professional photographer.  The average consumer does not need 61 MP, and would have a hard time telling the difference between a 61 MP image and a 16 MP image.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
New Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎08-13-2019

Re: How much longer will EF be around?

My advice to the OP is hang on to the EF lenes he uses the most, start selling off the ones he doesn't really use, and don't invest any more money in new ones. Make use of what you have and plan to move into Canon or N*kon's mirrorless systems in due course. 

powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement