Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: How much longer will EF be around?

[ Edited ]

Thanks for sharing valuable information.It will help everyone.keep Post. (Link removed as per forum guidelines) 

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for providing us this valuable knowledge. (Link removed as per forum guidelines) 

Valued Contributor

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Although Nikon gear is good and they do make some impressive stuff, their lenses let them down. 

BTW, the only Nikon camera that does temp me is the D850. It's biggest fault? It doesn't use Canon lenses!

Ernie, as you surely know, there many pros who are lifelong Nikon users, regularly published in leading magazines, from Audobon to National Geographic to Sports Illustrated to whatever. They don't seem to struggle with the lenses.

I'll be honest, I am considering the D750 over the 6D2. The D850 would be a logical upgrade from the 750 in due course, and if I make the move to mirrorless, the Z6 is more appealing to me than the R. As for lenses, I feel that I can find some Nikkors that won't "let me down."  While I don't like the way the lenses screw on to a Nikon, I could adapt. YMMV. 

Highlighted
VIP

I have no problem with Nikon. The company I worked, Hallmark Cards of Kansas City, for for 40 years was 100% Nikon.  However, the bottom line is Canon lenses are the best even though Hallmark didn't use them and made millions. I did own two Nikon cameras (DSLRs) with many Nikkor lenses. I have recently sold all and do not miss them. But the fellow that bought them is as happy as can be. ... so the world goes on.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
VIP

[ Edited ]

@John_SD wrote:

I'll be honest, I am considering the D750 over the 6D2. The D850 would be a logical upgrade from the 750 in due course, and if I make the move to mirrorless, the Z6 is more appealing to me than the R. As for lenses, I feel that I can find some Nikkors that won't "let me down."  While I don't like the way the lenses screw on to a Nikon, I could adapt. YMMV. 

Ernie is correct about Nikon lenses.  Canon lenses are not only much better, they cost less. 

I think the 6D2 is a better camera than the D750. The D750 might have 51 AF points, but only 15 of them are cross type AF points.  The 6D2 has 45 AF points, and all of them are cross type.  Plus the 6D2 has 27 AF points capable of focusing at f/8.

The only check mark that I would give to the D750 would be dual card slots.  Like the D750, the 6D2 has Wi-Fi, and it adds GPS.  The Canon AF tracking system is much better than the Nikon 3D tracking, IMHO.  

I shoot Youth Tackle Football with an old high school friend for the local YTL team.  He uses a D500 and has been disappointed with his hit rate.  But, he was more disappointed with the overall softness of his photos compared to mine.  A nice bump in shutter speed improved sharpness, but he was still having trouble tracking subjects.

I let him try my 6D2 with the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM during a team practice session, (photographers need practice too), and he was amazed at how well the Canon tracked compared to his Nikon.  I was frequently losing focus with the Nikon, and can see why a lot of shooters would not use 3D Tracking, and just go with a single cluster of AF points.  The lens was Nikkor 70-200mm, but it was not the newest one.

He has sold his Nikon gear after buying an 80D.  He uses the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM and a EF 1.4x II extender.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Valued Contributor

Well, the 6D2 is a no-go for me, due to the problems with DR at BASE ISO. I am frequently in the desert, and often shoot at base. The issue has been documented to my satisfaction, and it is a problem. Now, I'm not one of these people who say that the 6D2 has bad DR period. It does not, but I believe that at 100, trying to recover detail in the shadows is a problem that I don't need. I think a lot of people shoot jpegs and they won't notice it in that format. But they will in raw. 

As for your friend's experience with the D500, and his issue with his hit rate and and getting soft images, give me a break. That camera can shoot at 10 FPS, has 153 AF points, of which 99 are cross type. That camera is highly regarded by more than a few wildlife and outdoor pros. No offense, but I think it's your friend who has the problem. Or maybe pros like Ronan Donovan are just "lucky" with the D500. 

VIP

@John_SD wrote:

Well, the 6D2 is a no-go for me, due to the problems with DR at BASE ISO. I am frequently in the desert, and often shoot at base. The issue has been documented to my satisfaction, and it is a problem. Now, I'm not one of these people who say that the 6D2 has bad DR period. It does not, but I believe that at 100, trying to recover detail in the shadows is a problem that I don't need. I think a lot of people shoot jpegs and they won't notice it in that format. But they will in raw. 

As for your friend's experience with the D500, and his issue with his hit rate and and getting soft images, give me a break. That camera can shoot at 10 FPS, has 153 AF points, of which 99 are cross type. That camera is highly regarded by more than a few wildlife and outdoor pros. No offense, but I think it's your friend who has the problem. Or maybe pros like Ronan Donovan are just "lucky" with the D500. 

Any decrease in the dynamic range of the 6D2 at ISO 100 are highly exaggerated.  The dynamic range at higher ISOs more than makes up for losing 1/3 of stop, or whatever it is, at ISO 100.  If you believe that you recovering detail out of the shadows at ISO 100 is a non-starter, then so be it.  

I think it is a non-problem.  Shoot at ISO 200, where DR exceeds the 6D.  This shot with a 6D2 and a EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM.

71676240-E121-40E3-BA6A-5EC1A483C611.jpeg

Like I said, my friend was getting soft images mainly because his shutter was too slow for sports.  I am not trying to argue, but Nikon’s claim that the D500 has 153 AF points is very misleading because only 55 are selectable.

The D500 is a highly regarded camera for wildlife photography.  Yes, my friend did have problems using the camera.  Don’t forget, he was using a 70-200 with a teleconverter.  After having used it myself, I had to remove the teleconverter.  Yes, I could easily track subjects after a little practice.  But these were relatively big subjects, kids on a football field.

Being very near the ocean, there are frequently sea gulls flying around.  I could track them, but the shots were not tack sharp.  I could get pretty sharp photos when I first acquired a gull, but images were softer as it tracked.  I was tracking gulls against the sky.  

Like I said, the AF tracking in the Canon is much better, but I suspect the real problem was the lens.  The Nikon 70–200mm f/2.8 does not come close to the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM.  I am sure that Nikon’s far expensive super telephoto primes are sharper than the 70-200 f/2.8 zoom, which would easily explain why the D500 has such a good reputation among pro wildlife photographers.

If you want the Nikon, then go for one.  Do not let me sway your opinion.  There is more to photography than the camera body, though.  It is a combination of body, lens, and photographer.  Canon has the better lenses, that much is certain.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIP

"The lens was Nikkor 70-200mm, but it was not the newest one."

That is a dreadful lens!  Not one of Nikkor's best efforts and it costs way to much.  The new replacement is much better and costs way, way too much.

The D750 and now the D850 are tempting cameras.  Very tempting if you do not already have a lot of Canon lenses and gear. I could love the D850 but not now. Where I am at.

The one big problem and perhaps my biggest issue with Nikon whether it is the D5 or D850 is it doesn't feel like a Canon 1 series in your hands. The D3500, Rebel equivalent, is horrible feeling ot me. I know that is a personal thing and others like them. I don't.

All cameras have their strong points and weakness.  These should not become the photographers, if they do you aren't much of a photographer and probably need to find another hobby or profession. My 2 cents and worth every penny.

VIP

I can't be too far off with my assessment of how they feel.  When I did the DSLR 101 classes, I bet there was a 5 to 1 advantage to Rebel owners to Nikon owners. I asked some why they bought what they did and most of the time the Nikon owners said reputation of Nikon. Not features or price or 'feel'.

VIP

[ Edited ]

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"The lens was Nikkor 70-200mm, but it was not the newest one."

That is a dreadful lens!  Not one of Nikkor's best efforts and it costs way to much.  The new replacement is much better and costs way, way too much.

The one big problem and perhaps my biggest issue with Nikon whether it is the D5 or D850 is it doesn't feel like a Canon 1 series in your hands.

My friend really liked the way the Canon body felt in his hand, too.  I was using battery grips, so I suspect that had a major something to do with it.  He said my Canon rigs felt better balanced in his hands.  

He fell in love with he idea of 70-200 on full frame, 6D2, and a 100-400 on a crop body, 7D2, and how the two setups had a near identical weight, look, and feel to them.  Of course, he loved the images.

He knows that the older Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 has issues, and is not quite as good as the Canon version.  He was just blown away by how dramatically sharper the Canon 70-200mm II was compared to is older Nikkor.  And, it was several hundred dollars cheaper than the newest Nikkor, which is still not as good as the Canon. 

I think he was overwhelmed by the AF tracking controls in the Nikon.  Who knows how he had them set in his D500.  He did not like the menu system in the Nikon, but loved the Canon menus.

He found the Canon AF tracking to be more intuitive.  He fell love with the AF Case settings in the 7D2.  He never fully understood his Nikon AF tracking menus until he used a Canon.  The Nikon AF Guide book for the D500 is terrible.  The Canon 7D2 AF Guide is much more clearly written.

Because he likes to use extenders a lot, I encouraged him to get the 80D over the 7D2.  He also likes to shoot lots of videos of the kids, too, which is why I turned him away from a 7D2.  He dabbles in shooting music videos, too.  He cannot wait to see a 7D3.