cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much longer will EF be around?

chahath
Apprentice

I know photography is more than just gear, and a lens that was great 5 years ago didn't get worse just because newer better ones are out, but I fear that if I don't sell my EF lenses soon they'll become worthless when everyone and their dog have moved on to the RF mount. I don't shoot professionally and I'm not made of money, so I'd rather not have to write off all the money I spent on EF lenses if I can avoid some of the loss by selling them while they're still worth something.

91 REPLIES 91

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"That is why I bought two Nikon Df bodies - the Df ..."

It is a little beyound a shutter button and a meter! Smiley Wink

I agree that the detail is different but the principle is the same and this one exists!

In the very simple situation you suggest I suspect it would be possible to construct such a camera, cannibalizing the parts from other units.  I would suggest giving it a try or putting the idea out there on sites where people look for custom 3D printing projects!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@John_SD wrote:

And speaking of DSLR price drops, I see that the Canon online store is offering NEW 6D Mark 2 bodies for $1299. That's $700 off of what it was just a little over a year ago. I wonder how much of that drop is due to the shift into mirrorless. 

The current list price is more in line with what the camera is worth.  The 6D2 was quite a bit overpriced when it was first introduced, IMHO.  The asking price was roughly a 50% increase over the  selling price of the 6D.  Maybe it was a marketing strategy to sell off 6D bodies.  

The higher introductory price probably had something to do with the reviews that it received.  I think the camera has a lot of new features that were hardly mentioned in reviews.  They added exposure compensation in Manual mode, for example.  This is a powerful feature when combined with Auto ISO.

It has the same two types of Auto WB found in the 1Dx II.  Somehow, Canon managed to increase the resolution by 30% without significantly reducing the size of individual photosites.  I think the 6D2 is a good preview of a 7D3.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

For a beginner check out the Rebel T7i kit.  For advanced check out the 90D with Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens. For the pro the 1DX Mk II and Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

We're a year into your prediction...still feel two years??

Until they come up with a mirrorless camera that has a truly lagless EVF I can't see using them for what I do. Sports photography (as well as almost all action photography) will require a mirror and a pentaprism so that we can see exactly when to release the shutter. Even a short lag in what the camera sees and what I see will ensure that I miss the picture that I really want. I don't even use "Live View" on most of the camera's I own (except the 60D with the reticulating screen) due to the more difficult focusing process and the lag time between what the sensor sees and what I see. With the number of EOS cameras out there, I can't see Canon discontinuing EF lenses any time soon. 

Canon EOS 1D mark iii (2), 6D, 5D, 60D, 10D and a boatload of "L" series lenses (since that seems to impress you). 

@scottwuerch wrote:

We're a year into your prediction...still feel two years??

Until they come up with a mirrorless camera that has a truly lagless EVF I can't see using them for what I do. Sports photography (as well as almost all action photography) will require a mirror and a pentaprism so that we can see exactly when to release the shutter. Even a short lag in what the camera sees and what I see will ensure that I miss the picture that I really want. I don't even use "Live View" on most of the camera's I own (except the 60D with the reticulating screen) due to the more difficult focusing process and the lag time between what the sensor sees and what I see. With the number of EOS cameras out there, I can't see Canon discontinuing EF lenses any time soon. 

Canon EOS 1D mark iii (2), 6D, 5D, 60D, 10D and a boatload of "L" series lenses (since that seems to impress you). 

Just to be clear: A DSLR is not lagless. It has to wait for the mirror to get out of the way before it can start to open the shutter. And from that point, it's subject to some of the same lags as a mirrorless. It takes time to finish opening and closing the shutter, just as it takes time for a mirrorless to scan the sensor. In both cases, ingenious methods are used to speed the process up. But the long run favors the mirrorless, because it's usually easier to get a computer to do things faster than to wring the same effect out of a mechanical assembly.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I'm NOT talking shutter lag...I'm talking EVF lag. With a mirror and a pentaprism I can see live what the lens is seeing. Viewfinder lag = 0. The only thing affecting me is shutter lag and I can compensate for that by releasing the shutter slightly before I expect the peak of action to occur. With a mirrorless, I have EVF lag PLUS shutter lag. I am seeing what the lens saw .02 seconds ago, so I'm already behind the 8-ball in the process. Now I press the shutter release and add shutter lag into the process which equals a missed picture. Have not yet seen an EVF screen/viewfinder that I liked as much as my SLR for the photography I do. How many mirrorless cameras (or SLR's where the photographer is using "live view") are you seeing in the hands of pros on the sidelines of pro sports, motor sports, or action sports...exactly NONE. There is a reason...in this usage SLR has the advantage over EVF. Like it or not, in a fast shooting environment, right now, SLR wins...I haven't had an ability to play with the two newest mirrorless in Canon's line...but to date, I'm not trading in my SLR's or my EF lenses. Perhaps a few more iterations of mirrorless technology may reach the levels needed in high action photography, but as of currently they don't. 

As Scott clearly notes, for those of us who shoot sports a mirrorless with EVF lag is a step backwards over current high end DSLR bodies.  Mirrorless offers such great features as EVF lag, a sensor that is more prone to noise from heat buildup since it is constantly being used to drive the display and AF system, and a constantly exposed sensor that makes it more subject to laser damage.  Add to that reduced battery life from supporting the EVF/sensor system and reduced focus acquisition speed compared to Canon's separate AF sensor when rapidly switching from a close to distant point on the field.  It is just what every sports shooter wants...

Mirrorless is well suited for studio, landscape photography, and many uses.  It is particularly suitable for those who value video as much as or more than stills but it isn't ready for primetime on the sidelines if one is used to shooting a Canon 1 series DSLR.

A mirrorless can probably be developed that will yield sufficient performance but a good question would be why start with a platform that has significant drawbacks for the sports market and then try to overcome these drawbacks when a better platform is already available. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"A mirrorless can probably be developed that will yield sufficient performance ..."

Even if a mirrorless can't be developed without undesirable lag, what makes you sure the 1DX Mk IV won't have an "R" mount? I have been through this change with Canon before. EF is dead. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.  This time is different. Now is I don't need it. Then I did. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ernie,

I wouldn't hate a switch to RF lenses, I just don't want the drawbacks of mirrorless for the way I use the cameras.  The EF lens family has had a very long run.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"A mirrorless can probably be developed that will yield sufficient performance ..."

Even if a mirrorless can't be developed without undesirable lag, what makes you sure the 1DX Mk IV won't have an "R" mount? I have been through this change with Canon before. EF is dead. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.  This time is different. Now is I don't need it. Then I did. 

How would an "R" lens stay out of the way of the mirror on a 1DX4?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements