cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High res sensor issues: IS and SS

ScottyP
Authority

I have been considering a camera purchase.  Leaning towards grabbing a 5D4 on some big sale, but also somewhat curious about the big megapixel 5Ds and sr.  

I know they say the higher MP can expose resolving limitations on some older lenses, but what about the effect of high MP sensors on shutter speed minimums?  Does anyone here own one of the 50MP cameras, and can you say firsthand whether they have found they have to use a little higher shutter speeds?

Also, to the extent that shutter speed is a real issue on high MP cameras, would it involve both camera shake blur (for which IS helps) and subject motion blur (for which IS is useless)?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
6 REPLIES 6

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@ScottyP wrote:

I have been considering a camera purchase.  Leaning towards grabbing a 5D4 on some big sale, but also somewhat curious about the big megapixel 5Ds and sr.  

I know they say the higher MP can expose resolving limitations on some older lenses, but what about the effect of high MP sensors on shutter speed minimums?  Does anyone here own one of the 50MP cameras, and can you say firsthand whether they have found they have to use a little higher shutter speeds?

Also, to the extent that shutter speed is a real issue on high MP cameras, would it involve both camera shake blur (for which IS helps) and subject motion blur (for which IS is useless)?

Canon APS-C sensors like the one in the 70D, 7D Mk II, and 80D match or exceed the pixel density of the 5Ds. Typically, a 1/Focal Length X 1.6 X 2 is a better rule of thumb for camera shake those cameras. With IS, I expect 1/Focal Length shouldn't be an issue with the 5Ds.  As far as subject motion blur, standard guidelines seem to work pretty well, for that. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Scott,

I don't have the 5Ds or 5Ds r but I do have a high MP camera with 36MP for a different manufacturer.  I really don't treat it any differently than any other camera I have.  The resolution is not just better, it is amazing.  It does require the best of lenses to take full advantage.

"... but what about the effect of high MP sensors on shutter speed minimums?"

This is a curious question.  I wonder ... and I don't really know the answer.  It stands to reason the more resolution you have the more chance of imperfects? 

I do know for sure, if I were in the market for a 5D, it would be the 5D Mk IV.  It comes down to that total package idea.  The 5Ds has the big sensor but that's it.  The 5D Mk IV has everything else.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ScottyP wrote:

What have you been reading about? 

If there is any correlation between shutter speed and sensor resolution, it would have to be related camera shake.  I would think that a higher resolution sensor would be more prone to reveal it than a much lower resolution sensor.  Naturally, a higher shutter speed captures less camera shake.  Do you think this could be the issue for using higher shutters speeds?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I was reading that the increased resolution captures tiny amounts of blur that are not visible at lower res.  I was not clear if it was both camera shake and subject motion blur, but I can't see why it would not be both if it is a thing. A lens with IS would cover it for the former but not the latter of course. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

I was reading that the increased resolution captures tiny amounts of blur that are not visible at lower res.  I was not clear if it was both camera shake and subject motion blur, but I can't see why it would not be both if it is a thing. A lens with IS would cover it for the former but not the latter of course. 

If that is the case, then longer focal lengths will tend to exaggerate motion blur even more.  In fact, depending upon the lens you are using, the IS system may contribute some blur, too.  I guess that is one reason why Canon suggests the latest and greatest lenses for use with the 50MP camera bodies.

Don't ask me how to do it, but it is possible to calculare how much AOV each pixel can capture at a given focal length. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"...the increased resolution captures tiny amounts of blur that are not visible at lower res."

I don't see it on a 36MP camera anyway.  Since the pixels are smaller the irregularities are going to be smaller.  Perhaps that is why you don't really see it?  I would forget it and just use it. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements