cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with lens hoods

Joecrick
Apprentice

So I have bought the canon ef-s 55-250mm f/4-5.6 is stm and I want to buy a lens hood for it, I was thinking I should get a petal shaped one but I can only find a et-63 normal shaped one, will this affect my photos and can I get et-63c instead with it still fitting, thanks for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Buy the hood that is specified for the lens. 

Petal shapes are most effective with wide angle lenses, not with long zooms.  Trust me, Canon will not design a hood for a lens that shows up in your shots.  In fact, I have both the lens and hood.  It's fine. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Buy the hood that is specified for the lens. 

Petal shapes are most effective with wide angle lenses, not with long zooms.  Trust me, Canon will not design a hood for a lens that shows up in your shots.  In fact, I have both the lens and hood.  It's fine. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thankyou very much, that was all I needed.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Petal shaped hoods are a compromise for wide angle lenses. 55mm is not a wide angle. 8^)

@kvbarkley wrote:

Petal shaped hoods are a compromise for wide angle lenses. 55mm is not a wide angle. 8^)

The hood that came with my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II is petal-shaped, and it's not a wide angle either.

It's not so much that petal-shaped hoods are designed specifically for wide angle lenses as that they're designed for cameras with a decidedly non-square aspect ratio, such as the 3:2 ratio on most DSLRs.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The hood that came with my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II is petal-shaped, and it's not a wide angle either.

It's not so much that petal-shaped hoods are designed specifically for wide angle lenses as that they're designed for cameras with a decidedly non-square aspect ratio, such as the 3:2 ratio on most DSLRs."

Of course this is the correct answer.  A petal shaped hood will be better.  And, yes, (2nd reply) Canon does supply hoods that will vignette somewhat in your shots.  The angle of the hood has to match the "angle of view" of the lens or it will vignette.  This becomes more difficult to do with any zoom lens.  Check out the ET 60 II as I think it will fit your lens and is petal shaped.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements