cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with focus: Canon EOS R with EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II and adapter ring

cdisimone
Contributor

I had been using the EOS 5D Mark II for quite sometime until I recently bought the Canon EOS R. Today I tried my EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II for the first time with the EOS R. Admittedly, this is my most underutilized lens so I don't have a lot of shots to compare to, but I got some seriously disappointing results today when just shooting objects in my yard. I had a lot of trouble focusing using the center focus point on the smallest setting. Maybe I am doing something wrong... looking for some guidance.

I have had tack sharp images with the other EF lenses I have tried with the EOS R so I'm hoping it is something I am doing... and that there is nothing wrong with the lens. My test shots were all handheld but on a pretty fast shutter speed, wide open and zoomed in at 200mm, and I was sitting and leaning my back against a wall so I should have been pretty still as well. I used single shot focus in the center and just snapped the photo.. no recomposing, no al servo, no choosing alternate focus points. Just center the subject and shoot. 

Can anyone tell me what is going wrong here? I didn't get one clear shot of the squirrel, or the bird.

Photo 1 (squirrel): https://flic.kr/p/2iNDbwc

Photo 1 Focus Point: https://flic.kr/p/2iNEVdP

Photo 2 (bird): https://flic.kr/p/2iNEUEV

Photo 2 Focus Point: https://flic.kr/p/2iNEVdo

If there's a better way to share photos here or if it's better to load right into this window, please let me know. I'm new here!

Thanks!

39 REPLIES 39

So after further testing, it seems everything is fine. The photos were in focus, but maybe a tad soft. I don't know if my expectations are reasonable in terms of sharpness at this distance with this size subject, but when I zoom into 100% in Lightroom, it just doesn't have that same crispness that I see with other lenses I use more regularly (like my 24-70 2.8 L or 35mm native EOS R lens). It looks plenty sharp at this size, but 1:1 in Lightroom looks softer. Nothing a little sharpening can't fix though I suppose!

Below is one of my test images shot on manul at 1/1250 sec f2.8 ISO 400. I had the lens stationary on a table and used the 2sec timer, zoomed in to 200mm. IS was on, mode 1, and I had it set to the 2.5m-infinity setting (which are the same lens settings I had in the initial trouble shot of the squirrel).

I suppose I just missed focus on that first shot, but my curiosity came from wondering HOW it focused where it did. I know it's possible the focus point wasn't as precise as it looked in the viewfinder, but I would think if I missed the focus point in any direction aiming for the squirrel, a different part of the photo would have been in focus (like the pot, or the grass immediately to the top of squirrel's head). In order to focus on the grass that was in focus, I would have had to have been focusing way down and to the left, or way down and to the right from the center/squirrel.

I tested this same shot below at f4 and f5.6. All were in focus and none seemed any sharper to me than the others at 100%.

I will continue to test some more real-life examples and hopefully I get better results than my initial test shots. I hope that I can use the lens handheld though as that is more practical for my use and it's not always possible to use a tripod with a timer. When hand holding the camera with this lens, I can hear the IS motor going as I move the camera around. I assume that is a normal function of the image stabilization system but sometimes I wonder how much noise is normal and how much is cause for concern.

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. Appreciate the help.

lens test 1/1250 sec f2.8 ISO 400

"... it just doesn't have that same crispness that I see with other lenses..."

This is a 100% crop of the sample you displayed. It really looks pretty good to me.

100percent.jpg

I did lens correctoin.  Did you do that when you imported it to LR?

"(like my 24-70 2.8 L or 35mm native EOS R lens)"

You do realize that lens resolution decreases as distance increases?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I did lens correctoin.  Did you do that when you imported it to LR?

I did not. I will try that. 

"I did lens correction.  Did you do that when you imported it to LR?

I did not. I will try that."  Smiley Happy

You should do lens correction as a preset (and any other setting that applies to all your photos) when importing to LR. You may want to add some sharping too.  As, Raw files do not get any sharping in the camera the way jpg do.  That is why a jpg can look sharper than a Raw at first.

"Retest at a distance that is 25-50x the focal length."

This is a standard recommendation for focus adjustment. In this case it really is meaningless as our test was to duplicate the shooting conditions in the original shot. Besides sometimes certain distances are more important than others. That is why that figure is just a suggestion.  Apparently your camera has no focus adjustment anyway.

I really don't think you have a problem.  You simply missed that original shot.  There is and end to it.  Go make some beautiful photos!

EB

"Below is one of my test images shot on manul at 1/1250 sec f2.8 ISO 400. I had the lens stationary on a table and used the 2sec timer, zoomed in to 200mm. IS was on, mode 1, and I had it set to the 2.5m-infinity setting (which are the same lens settings I had in the initial trouble shot of the squirrel)."

Does "manul af" mean that you  switched the lens to MF, and focused manually?

The subject is pretty far away.  You need to be  at 25-50x the focal length that you are shooting.  This works out to roughly 10 meters, 39 feet, for a 200mm lens.  Use the standard AF point size, with One Shot AF.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

No, that should have been "manual" obviously but it says manual AT not manual AF. I was on manual mode (not Tv or Av etc). I had it on auto focus using center focus point on one shot. 

@cdisimone wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

No, that should have been "manual" obviously but it says manual AT not manual AF. I was on manual mode (not Tv or Av etc). I had it on auto focus using center focus point on one shot. 

Got it.

"You do realize that lens resolution decreases as distance increases?"

The flip side of that coin is your AF sensor works with less resolution, too.  This is exactly why using Spot AF on distant subjects does not work very well.  Retest at a distance that is 25-50x the focal length.

"... shot on manul at 1/1250 sec f2.8 ISO 400."

Not that I have anything against M mode but may I suggest you get up close and personal with Av mode.  I think you will really like it.  You can set a lower and upper limit to your SS if you like.

My favorite settings for smaller animals and birds is Av and I usually set the lens down one stop. I fix the ISO for the conditions but good daylight ISO 800 works.  Average WB but this doesn't matter because I always shoot Raw.

This is nearly a 100% crop of the finch.  I am hand holding my Sigma 150-600mm S super zoom at 600mm. Av mode f5.6, 1/6000, and ISO 1600. One shot and just the center focus point. Full range of the lens too.

_OS11649.jpg

It has lens correction and some selective sharpening upon import in to LR.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I think the problem here is the squirrel is so small.  Let's set up a test.  Do the very same settings and distance only put a larger subject in the shot.  A teddy bear for example. Try to keep everything the same except for the subject.  Also try different apertures to see which work best. I prefer to fix ISO. I don't use or like auto ISO.  I also prefer Av over Tv almost all the time.

Use One shot and just the center focus point for this test.  You can use jpg for this too.  Most of the time a jpg will be sharper right out of the camera than Raw.

I actually did just that prior to seeing your post! I stuck a stuffed animal in the pot. I believe I had it on manual settings this time for those shots, and I did play around with using focus points in the center but also off to the sides. I also walked up closer and tried the shot at 100mm and closer still at 70mm, as well as some different apertures from the far distance. For the original far shot, I didn't pull out my tripod but I did rest the camera on a table and used it on timer so I could make sure there was no camera shake.

I don't have time to upload the shots right now but I will later and see what happened. Is flickr the preferred way of sharing photos here or something else?

You can upload files directly to the forum, but there is 5MP limit.  In practice, the working limit is more like 4.5MP, probably because of some sort of overhead.

I strongly suggest that you use a "normal" point, instead of whatever type of Spot AF the EOS R uses.  Again check your lens switches, most especially the distance switch.  It can make a world of difference.

Announcements