cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with faulty lens

LoriMB
Apprentice

Trying to decide whether to send out for service or list on Ebay.

Faulty Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, purchased in 2016 from B&H in NYC.

Throws a code saying lens is not connected to camera. Has worked fine til now.

Local long-existing camera shop did assessment. Recommends sending for further assessment and repair, assuming it's an electronic issue. 

Anyone have this same issue.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

Assuming it is an accurate l;isting on eBay I don't suspect you will get a lot of money for a non-functioning lens.

Send it to Canon for an estimate.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

A used Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L is worth about $800.  I bet Canon can repair it for less than that. 

BUT.... If you accurately describe it's problem, and sell it on eBay, you might get a good price for it. Many of these "lenses for repair" fetch $400 or more on eBay. You can check the "Sold" listings on eBay.  eBay EF 70-200mm f/2.8 SOLD LISTINGS 

You could then use the money to replace your lens for about $800, or use the money towards upgrading to a EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II or IS III.

Mike Sowsun

Thanks. I appreciate this info.

Thank you! That is the plan as of now.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The lens needs to go to Canon for an evaluation.  That is by far the cheapest way to go.  The idea of replacing it with Mk II or Mk III is fine but I doubt you will see a huge difference in IQ. The Mk III is over two grand, remember.  It is that much better and worth it to you? If you say, yes it is, then go for it. Otherwise, call Canon and set up a service ticket.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements