cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me find a lens please

EastcoastMich81
Apprentice
Hey Everyone! I am new here and just a hobbyist photographer. I have 5 beautiful neices and a nephew i love to take photos of. Also have done a few family sessions for friends. I'm currently shooting with a canon t3i, i know old school lol but i love it and dont have alot of money. My go to lens is my Canon 50mm 1.8. Takes great protraits but I'm wanting more. Something that zooms and allows me to get those fast moving children but not break the bank. Any suggestions on which i should look into? I'm thinking maybe the 55-250mm f 4-5.6 IS
5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Limited budget?  You need to decide what types of photos you see yourself taking most. 

If you see yourself taking more close up shots of family the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is hard to beat.  Will allow a wider field of view and give beautiful background blur.

If you want more reach, then the 55-250mm is another great kit lens. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Usually I would agree with Rick about the fantastic ef-s 17-55mm f2.8 but it won't really do anything that you ef 50mm f1.8 isn't already doing.  So, in your case I would suggest the ef-s 55-250mm zoom.  It is a decent lens although not a great lens.

However, this is without knowing what other lenses you already have.  For instance did you get the standard 'kit' lens with your Rebel (ef-s 18-55mm)?  If you didn't than I am all in for the ef-s 17-55mm f2.8 and I would sell the 50mm. It and the 55-250mm would make a pretty nice bag!

The ef-s 17-55mm f2.8 is not cheap but it is a one time purchase as it will out last several Rebel camera upgrades when the time comes.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

EastcoastMich81
Apprentice
Thank you so much for your feedback! I do have the kit 18-55mm lens however i never use it, I like that it zooms but I don't find i get the sharp images i do with the 50mm lens. I love my 50mm but i would like something that is wider and has zoom option.

EastcoastMich81
Apprentice
It does sound like the 17-55mm lens would give me the nice portraits with the background blur, a wider view and zoom option. I'll research it a but more 😊

If you do decide to buy the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens youll never use the 50mil so you can sell it. Or, you can keep it as no zoom lens as sharp as most primes. The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is very sharp though and probably sharp enough for most situations and it includes 50mm.

Sell, or give it away, the kit lens, too

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements