cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help With Buying Camera - Amazon Listing

zgarrett
Apprentice

What is the difference between the 18-55mm option and 18-55mm + 55-250mm option? It seems like the second option would be more expensive because it has more zoom capabilities. Am I missing something, or is it a much better deal to buy the 18-55mm + 55-250mm option?

Here is the link to the listing:

[link removed per forum guidelines]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You answered it Smiley Happy. The two lens option is $100 more but you get a telephoto zoom lens.

The 18-55mm lens in the single lens kit is an STM lens, which is a newer version of the lens. The two lens kit is not. STM is a good feature if you will be doing videoing; it is much quieter focusing so you won't get the focus motor noise in your videos.

The T5i is a very good camera body.

Since you are just starting out get the two lens kit so you can explore a wide range of photography - you can never have too much telephoto range if wou want to shoot wildlife.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Canon eStore hs the T5i ..."

Smiley Happy  That is better than Amazon package deals, IMHO, of course.

I would never buy anything more costly than a paperback novel through Amazon.  The Canon eStore Refurbished gear is better than new gear, if you ask me.  The gear is hand tested and inspected, repaired as needed, and thoroughly cleaned up.  The only difference between the refurbished gear and new stuff seems to be the box that it comes in.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Canon eStore hs the T5i ..."

Smiley Happy  That is better than Amazon package deals, IMHO, of course.

I would never buy anything more costly than a paperback novel through Amazon.  The Canon eStore Refurbished gear is better than new gear, if you ask me.  The gear is hand tested and inspected, repaired as needed, and thoroughly cleaned up.  The only difference between the refurbished gear and new stuff seems to be the box that it comes in.

To each their own, I have never had an issue with items sold and shipped by Amazon, or any item shipped by Amazon as they control the return process. The only time I have ever had an issue with buying through Amazon, is with an item sold and SHIPPED by a 3rd party seller. And even then filling a claim with Amazon's A-Z Guarantee motivated the seller to cooperate. 

I do agree with Canon refurbished products being a great deal, and have purchased a number of cameras and lenses that way.

"That is better than Amazon package deals, IMHO, of course."

Well you can certainly do as you like but all that stuff in those Amazon packages is junk.  But I won't stop you. Nope go right ahead. Have at it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Two things, if it were me buying.

I would go with the better STM version, too.  Even though you are only getting one lens it is much better in its IQ.  The bottom line is the lens.  The lens is where its at, not the camera much of the time.

Second, if this an Amazon package, I would avoid it like the plague.  If it is the kit with tons of accessories, they are mostly junk and virtually worthless.  A better option is a retailer like B&H Photo, Adorama, Roberts Camera, etc.

Plus a local source like Best Buy or even a local camera shop.  It is good to get to handle it first and maybe get a few tips from a real live person!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Two things, if it were me buying.

I would go with the better STM version, too.  Even though you are only getting one lens it is much better in its IQ.  The bottom line is the lens.  The lens is where its at, not the camera much of the time.

Second, if this an Amazon package, I would avoid it like the plague.  If it is the kit with tons of accessories, they are mostly junk and virtually worthless.  A better option is a retailer like B&H Photo, Adorama, Roberts Camera, etc.

Plus a local source like Best Buy or even a local camera shop.  It is good to get to handle it first and maybe get a few tips from a real live person!

What's this, Ernie?? Are you suggesting that we're not real live people?  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Bean Town,

"... we're not real live people?"

I actually have no idea for a certainty.  And if not, that does explain a lot.

EB

🤖😀

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements