cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help With Buying Camera - Amazon Listing

zgarrett
Apprentice

What is the difference between the 18-55mm option and 18-55mm + 55-250mm option? It seems like the second option would be more expensive because it has more zoom capabilities. Am I missing something, or is it a much better deal to buy the 18-55mm + 55-250mm option?

Here is the link to the listing:

[link removed per forum guidelines]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You answered it Smiley Happy. The two lens option is $100 more but you get a telephoto zoom lens.

The 18-55mm lens in the single lens kit is an STM lens, which is a newer version of the lens. The two lens kit is not. STM is a good feature if you will be doing videoing; it is much quieter focusing so you won't get the focus motor noise in your videos.

The T5i is a very good camera body.

Since you are just starting out get the two lens kit so you can explore a wide range of photography - you can never have too much telephoto range if wou want to shoot wildlife.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You answered it Smiley Happy. The two lens option is $100 more but you get a telephoto zoom lens.

The 18-55mm lens in the single lens kit is an STM lens, which is a newer version of the lens. The two lens kit is not. STM is a good feature if you will be doing videoing; it is much quieter focusing so you won't get the focus motor noise in your videos.

Since you are just starting out get the two lens kit so you can explore a wide range of photography - you can never have too much telephoto range if wou want to shoot wildlife.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

You want the STM lenses for more than just video. Canon really upped the image quality when the redesigned the lenses for the STM focus motor. Get the kit that has the STM lenses, regardless whether you do video or not.

The degree of improvement varies from lens to lens. Some are markedly better; others not so much.

[link removed per forum guidelines]

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

The degree of improvement varies from lens to lens. Some are markedly better; others not so much.

The EF-S 18-55 IS STM and EF-S 55-250 IS STM are two lenses where the STM version is much better, than the non-STM one.

The EF-S 18-55 IS STM is second in image quality to only the much more expensive EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, and beats the well regarded EF-S 15-85 IS. And the EF-S 55-250 IS STM has image quality that rivals the EF 70-200 f/4L IS.

Oh, I'm sorry, I just read my question and realized that I was asking about the wrong options. I was wondering why it is cheaper to get the 18-55mm + 55-250mm II option over the 18-135mm option. Sorry about the confusion.

Here is the link again:

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-Digital-18-135mm-Lens/dp/B00BW6LX20

@zgarrett wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry, I just read my question and realized that I was asking about the wrong options. I was wondering why it is cheaper to get the 18-55mm + 55-250mm II option over the 18-135mm option. Sorry about the confusion.

Here is the link again:

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-Digital-18-135mm-Lens/dp/B00BW6LX20

Go with the 18-135 IS STM.

Then consider getting the 55-250 IS STM refurbished from Canon.

The getting the STM lens is worth the extra money.

I don't think the 18-55mm II + 55-250mm II is an official Canon, bundle, but a third party putting together their own 'bundle', with inferior lenses.

The kit with the 18-135 IS STM is sold by Amazon which is an authorized Canon dealer.

The kit with the 18-55mm II + 55-250mm II is sold by 'Wholesale Photo' 

The Genuine Canon kits contain STM lenses. The one for $649 with the 18-55 lens sold by Amazon is the 18-55 STM lens.

I personally would not buy the seller 'kit' from 'Wholesale Photo'.

Thanks a lot!

Canon eStore hs the T5i with both of those lenses in STM version for $900.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/rebel-t5i-18-55mm-is-stm-ef-s-55-250mm-is-stm-kit-refurbis...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

"Canon eStore hs the T5i ..."

Smiley Happy  That is better than Amazon package deals, IMHO, of course.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements