cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have Ef100x400 1:4, also ef16-35 1.2, ef24-105 1.4. Looking at the new 11x24f4. Thoughts please

mln13
Contributor
5dm3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

If you haven't purchased filters yet you can get an 82mm and the 82-77 stepdown rings and thus only buy one specialty filter for use on all lenses.

For a stepdown ring to work effectively, the filter has to be too big for the lens by enough to ensure that the depth of the ring doesn't push the edge of the filter into the field of view (which is wider, the farther out you get from the front end of the lens). Since there's not much difference between 77mm and 82mm, you'd have to satisfy yourself that it couldn't happen in this case, i.e. that you don't need a filter even bigger than 82mm.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

@mln13 wrote:

I currently have the EF16-35mm 2.8L. Thank you for the information on the Circular Polarizer...

If you have the 16-35/2.8L original version or "Mark I", it uses 77mm filters (which also will fit your other two lenses... the 16-35/4L IS, 17-40/4L too ).

If you have the 16-35/2.8L Mark II, it uses 82mm filters (only slighlty bigger, but they tend to be a lot more expensive).

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Mine takes the 82!! Thanks again

If you haven't purchased filters yet you can get an 82mm and the 82-77 stepdown rings and thus only buy one specialty filter for use on all lenses.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

For a stepdown ring to work effectively, the filter has to be too big for the lens by enough to ensure that the depth of the ring doesn't push the edge of the filter into the field of view (which is wider, the farther out you get from the front end of the lens). Since there's not much difference between 77mm and 82mm, you'd have to satisfy yourself that it couldn't happen in this case, i.e. that you don't need a filter even bigger than 82mm.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements