cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have Ef100x400 1:4, also ef16-35 1.2, ef24-105 1.4. Looking at the new 11x24f4. Thoughts please

mln13
Contributor
5dm3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

If you haven't purchased filters yet you can get an 82mm and the 82-77 stepdown rings and thus only buy one specialty filter for use on all lenses.

For a stepdown ring to work effectively, the filter has to be too big for the lens by enough to ensure that the depth of the ring doesn't push the edge of the filter into the field of view (which is wider, the farther out you get from the front end of the lens). Since there's not much difference between 77mm and 82mm, you'd have to satisfy yourself that it couldn't happen in this case, i.e. that you don't need a filter even bigger than 82mm.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

That's a rather secialized lens. In addition to being very expensive, it's very large and heavy. If you aren't certain that you need it, you should probably not buy it.

Bob

Do mostly outdoor shots, 100-400 for birding, that's heavy as well. Wanted something for beach and landscapes, mostly nature!!! I'm a work in progress, got the camera as a retirement gift!!! Read the glorious reviews of the 11x24 but guess that's out of my league.

If you frequently take photos where 16mm isn't wide enough for you and you have ~$2000 to spend on a lens its a great lens. I say ~$2000 since its a $3000 lens but you could sell the 16-35 and cover 11-400mm with three lenses. But, as Bob says, its a specialty lens; even a hundred occurences where you want wider than 16 would be $20 a shot.

I know from listening to podcasts that some pros have sold several lenses that the 11-24 overlap becuase of its quality and the fact that they can cut down what they trravel with.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you both for our responses. As I stated I fairly new at this, got my 5dm3 as a retirement gift a few years ago. Don't use it much do to my husband's death.. But have recently picked it up, and I'm off and running with it...

Given that additional info I would say its not the lens for you.

You have a great kit with the FF body and three excellent L grade lenses.

The only thing between you and some great photos is practise and availing yourself of the many free or reasonably priced video training courses from sites such as Udemy, Craftsy or Linda.com.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Saw a recommendation on this forum for the B.Peterson book, Understanding Exposure. Ordered it, will be here tomorrow. This forum is so helpful, and yes I'm watching the videos as recommended. I live 12 miles from Canon's Jamesburg NJ location, recently had my camera in for repair.. Oh they are so nice.i joined CPS, platinum member, this week. With living so close I will take advantage of their cleanings etc. Warning, I'm lurking and trying to grasp all of this.. Thanks again....

@mln13 wrote:
Saw a recommendation on this forum for the B.Peterson book, Understanding Exposure. Ordered it, will be here tomorrow. This forum is so helpful, and yes I'm watching the videos as recommended. I live 12 miles from Canon's Jamesburg NJ location, recently had my camera in for repair.. Oh they are so nice.i joined CPS, platinum member, this week. With living so close I will take advantage of their cleanings etc. Warning, I'm lurking and trying to grasp all of this.. Thanks again....

Your situation is a bit unusual, in that it's rare for a relatively new user to start out so well equipped. We'll be interested to hear how things work out for you as you get more experience.

I too am a CPS member (several of us are, I think), and I share your opinion of the Jamesburg shop. My wife and I stop there to drop off cameras and lenses for cleaning on our way home from visits to our daughter's house in Philadelphia. The people there have always been extremely efficient and helpful.

Bob

amfoto1
Authority

The 11-24mm is a fabulous lens, but as mentioned already, heavy and pricey.

It also has a strongly convex front element, that means it cannot be used with standard filters. 

The way I often use a lens of this type - for outdoor, scenic shots - I know I'll want to be able to use a Circular Polarizer, especially... as well as a Neutral Density or two. So I would be more inclined to get a 16-35mm or 17-40mm. In fact, I'd probably get the EF 16-35/4 IS USM. It can share 77mm filters with lenses like the 24-105 and 100-400mm, and is not only less expensive and smaller/lighter than the f2.8 lens, it's also sharper from corner to corner. And f4 is plenty fast for practically all outdoor, wide angle shooting needs.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

I currently have the EF16-35mm 2.8L. Thank you for the information on the Circular Polarizer. I'm currently on B&H's website researching the information you provided.

I've learned so much this week about my camera, so appreciate this great forum. Will share some pictures....

Announcements