cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! My lens is “jumping”

djorae
Apprentice
I have a 100mm macro canon l lens. It has always worked beautifully, however this afternoon it is jumping. When I turn the camera on, it does nothing but jump. I’ve attached and reattached it too. Other lens are not bahving like this one and appear to be working flawlessly. Any thoughts on how to fix?
5 REPLIES 5

diverhank
Authority

@djorae wrote:
I have a 100mm macro canon l lens. It has always worked beautifully, however this afternoon it is jumping. When I turn the camera on, it does nothing but jump. I’ve attached and reattached it too. Other lens are not bahving like this one and appear to be working flawlessly. Any thoughts on how to fix?

Does the camera jump with it too? :)...just kidding. In the spirit of the holidays...I see the camera and lens dancing with joy...(in my mind's eyes :)).

Seriously, what you are probably seeing is the effect of IS - image stabilization.  This effect is minimal with Canon lenses but very prominent with other manufacturers (like Sigma and Tamron).  While it is disconcerting, I think it's OK as long as your pictures turn out OK.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

djorae
Apprentice
No, it’s doing this jumping and never stopping. Can not get a good image

@djorae wrote:
No, it’s doing this jumping and never stopping. Can not get a good image

Now that's not good. Did you try turning off IS or VR or whatever it's called and see if the problem stops.  I suspect that the IS mechanism has gone haywired.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have a 100mm macro canon l lens"    That makes a difference.

Whose 100mm lens is this?  Is there any sounds associated with the 'jimping'?  If the jumping is the IS motor you can turn it off and all will be as it should (no IS, though).

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I was just looking at the lens yesterday...  need it like I need a hole in my head...  but I can take pictures of bugs I thought.  

The lens is a Macro with IS.  What diverhank and ebiggs1 state is true.  If its jumping with IS turned off and pressing the shutter (halfway) or BBF, thats not a good sign.  I'd wipe the contacts gently with Qtip and alcohol. Ensure its thoroughly dry and remount.  If it continues, you know it has a visit to Canon's NorthPole Christmas Repair factory in its future. Good Luck    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements