cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP Having such a difficult time making a decision with camera and lenses.

pongo1
Apprentice

I currently have a Canon XTI and want to upgrade.  I am debating between the 3Ti and the 4TI.  I have read numerous conflicting information regarding the 4Ti.  I realize the 4Ti  is much better for video but that doesn't concern me.  My  primary use wil be photos.  I take lots of family photos indoor in low light settings.  What is important to me is there a difference with the 4TI in the low light settings?  Also I think the touch screen sounds very appealing and easier for the beginner photographer like myself.  Some reviews indicate there is no difference between the 3t and the 4t in lower light and others indicate the 4T is better.  I live ina rural area, no camera stores in the area so its not possible to go to a local store and check out the cameras and lenses so all my research is done online.

As far as a lens, I am looking for a walk around lens that is also good in low light.  I currently have the 50mm 1.4 and the 18-135 is.   I am not crazy about the 18-135 and will probably be selling it soon.  The 50 mm is a great lens but sometimes

it  is not wide enough for photos.  So I have it down to the  Canon 17-55, 15-85 or 24-105L.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sheila

14 REPLIES 14

Hi JFO,
I am not new to photography but wish I had more knowledge. One day, I am hoping to take some classes. I do okay with my photos but there is lots of room for improvement. I am going to get either the 17-55 or the 15-85. Thanks for your reply.
Sheila
and 15-85

Scrapy1
Contributor

HAVE YOU TRIED A 28MM 1.4  OR 35MM 1.4  A 35MM MAKES A GOOD WALK AROUND LENS FOR THOSE CLOSE INDOOR SHOTS. I THINK YOU COULD FIND A COMBINATION LENS LIKE A 28 TO 35 OR SOMETHING LIKE IT IF YOU LOOK HARD.    I FOUND IN MY OWN PHOTO LIFE  THAT A 35MM WORKED IN TRAVEL IF I  TOOK MOST OF THE PICTURES IN DOORS.  A LOT OF INDOOR PLACES YOU ENTER IN TRAVEL WILL NOT ALLOW FLASH..

ScottyP
Authority

You mention indoor shooting and dim light.  I would reccomend the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8.  It is not cheap, but it should tick all your boxes.  It would be your primary "walk-around" lens, so it is worth it to spend a few hundred extra for that.  You really do need the constant f/2.8 aperature (at least!) for your low-light work.  Also, on a crop body, that 17mm width is very very nice compared to something like the 24-105.

Unless you think you might go full frame ($$$$$) in the next few years, I would go with the 17-55.  Mine is very sharp on my T3i, and very convenient.  I seldom go over to the prime lens unless I am really wanting to do a portrait with heavily-blurred bokeh background.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

You could also just use a tripod for your dimlight photos, if the people you are taking photos could stand still for 2 seconds. It's much cheaper than buying a 17-55 or a good prime lens.

Or you can buy the 50 mm 1.8 but will only be good at portraits. Full body shots and group photos with that forget it, unless you stand (very) far away. But is the cheapest (good) lens you can buy.

Or just use a high ISO and deal with the noise.
Announcements