Canon Community Canon Community

Valued Contributor

Re: Got a brand new lens that came with a mark on it.. What to do?

Trea, You should make a careful note to explain where the problem is that accompanies the lens when you send it in. Draw a diagram and include a reference point to direct them to it. You are in charge of making it obvious so don't hold back in the detail you offer.

Good luck.

PS, Make certain you adhere to all the return/refund policies. Call ahead and insure the package for an amount sufficient to cover its replacement. Make sure your package has tracking and the return authorization number is noted on the outside if required.

VIP

From that last post, keep it, forget it and move on.  Go take some pictures.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Occasional Contributor

Well this morning I called them to talk in more detail and decided to go ahead with the exchange. They assured me that it shouldn't be a problem and they even said if they didnt find a problem they would still do a courtesy exchange so they seem to have a good attitude about things and after talking to the guy on the phone, I don't expect to be hassled as much but I know it still could happen. I am hoping the new lens will be perfectly fine and not worst than this one.

I thought about it for a while and just figured it is worth going through a little hassle so that tiny little scratch is not in the back of my OCD mind constantly bugging me. Also according to my research, it would hurt the resell value possibly and I know this isnt an expensive lens but I don't like a brand new lens to loose that much value as soon as I open the box.

Cale_kat thanks for the advice with the return I will definitely take photos and draw a diagram etc to make sure things go as smooth as possible. Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor

I like the idea of a "courtesy exchange". Just as a fun "test", why not write down the lens serial number before you send it in and check that a different one comes back? Ha ha.

Occasional Contributor

Another good idea, will do!
New Contributor

Here is a novel idea, Use the lens, Take it to a camera store, get a second opinion. FYI. Cameta is a very well respected Camera Dealer, they rank up there with B&H and Adorama.  I do believe there is nothing wrong with the lens..

Good Luck

Best Regards,

George