cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good portable lens

stuart57
Apprentice

I have a T7i and bought a glorious 24-105 Canon L lens, I love it but too huge to carry around for just snap shots. Is there a nice lens anyone can recommend for that purpose, particularly that keeps the setup small and portable? Or... I’ve considered getting an m50 for this purpose, but don’t want to learn two different controls systems. Anyone run into this? Your wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The EF-S 18-135 will fill the bill, it ain't an L, but still has good quality.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If I had a Rebel I would buy this lens in a heart beat. The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens. In fact I am tempted to buy a new Rebel to just  use this lens. There is no doubt it is the best lens in this category made. Super sharp and super fast.  Perhaps a little short on the long end but on a Rebel doing general work that is not a problem at all.  It is one great lens. It is a little heavy but performance like it offers is worth it.

"I’ve considered getting an m50 ..."

IMHO, don't do it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The OP finds the EF 24-105 too large and heavy so the Sigma 18-35 would not work either. I would recommend the Canon 18-55mm STM or 18-135mm STM.

00BE5AF7-D53C-4E17-B1A2-4AB3A821D3D1.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

" The OP finds the EF 24-105 too large and heavy so the Sigma 18-35 would not work either."

I did not intend to respond to the "large and heavy" part of the query. I just made a reference to the best lens made in this range and what I would do. The Siggy is in a class all its own.

"If I had a Rebel I would buy this lens in a heart beat. The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens."

This statement made by another responder says it all, "Small and high quality zoom do not fit together."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It's a trifle difficult, not knowing exactly what the OP wants to shoot, but I have these observations:

1.  As has been correctly observed there are few lenses in the range of the 24-105 range that are small and light.  IF the range has to stay as such then I would suggest the following - noting that none of these have a fixed aperture.

a) the 18-135 IS STM - it's definitely lighter than the 24-105, and not quite as bulky

b) the 15-85mm lens, an oldie but a goodie - it's lighter and less bulky than the 24-105 and does a great job

2) Get the EOS M5 (not the M50, which is tweaked for film users) and put the 18-150mm EF-M lens on it.  It's not as fast, nor has it got the optics of an L lens, but it is MUCH lighter and MUCH less bulky.  The controls are much the same as the other Canons and the sensor is about as good as the 80D.  I have used this combination a lot and it is definitely OK for general work - I keep it around f8 which is a common sweet spot for many zooms.

3) If you are prepared to consider a non-DSLR camera that still has an APS-C sensor, I would suggest the Canon Powershot G1XMkIII.  At 24MP the sensor can get a lot of detail.  It has a focal range equivalent to 24-72mm with a 2.8-5.6 range - a fairly fast lens with 4 stops of IS.  It is somewhat weather resistant and is TINY. It still has the back LCD and a viewfinder.  It's worth checking out the specs.

4)Along the same lines the G5X has a 1" sensor (which is fine depending on your output intentions) and boasts a 24-120mm Equivalent lens range.  It too has both the LCD and viewfinder, and is about the same size as the G1XMKIII. The images it takes are excellent.

Both of these last two cameras offer similar controls and menus and they sport separate Exposure Compensation dials, and customizable buttons.  You cand even do back button focusing on them if you want!  They offer all the same operational modes as the Canon Rebel cameras, so the learning curve should be minimal.

I have used all of these cameras and can offer images taken by them on request.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Small and high quality zoom do not fit together. If you want small, then the EF-S 18-55mm STM could work. The 24mm pancake lens could work, too.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:
Small and high quality zoom do not fit together. If you want small, then the EF-S 18-55mm STM could work. The 24mm pancake lens could work, too.

I have both, as well as the EF-S 18-135mm STM. They are all fine lenses for the low cost. If OP's expectations are reasonable, he will be pleased. 

matonanjin
Contributor

To the OP, are you wanting the same zoom range, approximately 24-105?  I assume so yet people are recommending things like 18-35!  So let us know the zoom range and, if you would, what your budget is.   Then people can make intelligent, and hopefully, helpful suggestions.

The problem is that 24 is not very wide on an aps-c body.

Announcements