cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good lenses to start out with on a Canon

karbotilne5
Apprentice

Hello all! So I've been wondering what kind of lenses I should start off with on a Canon. If it matters, my DSLR is a crop sensor (APS-C). I've borrowed my friend's 50mm 1.8 before and I liked it a lot but, I have a bit more money now and I want something better than the 1.8. Also, to be more specific, the price range would be around $300 to $500. If you have a number of lenses to list, please list the lens that you'd recommend over the others as the first lens. Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I want something better than the 1.8" "... the price range would be around $300 to $500."

There is no lens in this price range that I would recommend that has an aperture less than f1.8. The biggest problem with the 50mil f1.8 on a cropper is, it is not a friendly, usable focal range. It is a more specialized lens like a portrait lens for instance.

However, with due respect, I don't believe you know what you are asking for. So, if you could offer some more reasons and why you want a different lens it will help. Like, what are you shooting and what are the conditions. We already know $300 to $500 but what other requirements?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What do you like to shoot? You might want to look into the EF-S 60mm macro. While not as fast as the 1.8, it will let you get life-size images on the sensor.

Byqonalop
Contributor

The tiny EF-S 24/2.8 STM is a great lens for a crop sensor. Sharp, compact, light and with a very usable field of view - a mild wide angle. The perfect everyday lens for family, street and holiday photos. And it's cheap!

But it also helps if you tell us a bit more about what kind of photography you're into. Street? Birds? Landscape? Portrait? Sports?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
24mm on a cropper is great. However neither the 60mil nor the 24mm is f1.8 or below. If that’s truly what the OP wants
EB

I took "better than the 1.8" to mean better quality, not lower Aperture.

Perhaps but don't you think it odd they mentioned 1.8 and don't mean it? A very specific number?  Who knows, I don't see any further response.

EB

It was shorthand for EF 50mm f/1.8.

Yes, I interpreted it like that as well. "The 1.8" is specifically the 50/1.8, so a better lens would be a better lens, not any lens with a wider aperture. But only the OP knows! 🙂

Announcements