Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Good lens for daytime lightning

Yes I figured the remote plug was different as soon as I looked at it and the four extra batteries (2 cameras) are useless because my 6D takes a different style! Had to buy a second.

What I do like about the 6D is the wifi it has internally, I can actually use my smartphone to control the camera, settings, and as a remote. I have played around a little with that and it's pretty cool!

My husband had bought me the 500mm fixed focus lens, because I couldn't afford a "real" one, and I just was playing with that tonight. Took a pretty good shot of the moon and it was hand held. Completely manual too. Okay to experiment for now. I may decide to rent a lens for my workshop so I can see whether I like it or not. I have purchased a 28-135mm EF because I got a good white box deal on it and I had one years ago that I liked.

Thank you for all your experienced advice! I too think the moon looks bettr when it's not full, or when it's HUGE and just coming up behind a mountain.  The Milky Way is something I haven't tried yet, but did wonder about. It's FABULOUS in Wyoming and Nevada on Interstate 80, there is nothing out there so no interference and it looks SO close!

20150815191226_IMG_0330.JPG

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Good lens for daytime lightning

You are probably going to cringe, but in my "need" for a long lens, my husband bought me the 500 mm fixed focus lens for my Rebel last Christmas. I hadn't had a chance to use it until tonight when I decided to take it out and see what it could do with the full moon. Mind you I was holding it as I did not feel like pulling the tripod out of my truck and I just wanted to take a couple quick shots to try it out. I have to say I was impressed. For just over $100, it's not bad for someone on a budget. I still have aspirations of spending a couple thousand on a "real" long lens!  It's fully manual of course, but I will read up on how to get the best use out of it. I mainly wanted it because I like to shoot birds (with my camera) and I wanted to be able to go out and set up the tripod at a good wetlands somewhere. I go to Florida and travel I-10 through the gulf states quite often, there's a lot to see there.

I took this in the middle of Phoenix, Az.

FB_IMG_1445931502431.jpg