cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good everyday/walk around lens for a APS-C?

Rajjones
Apprentice

Made a huge long rant of a question but I'll shorten it for ease. 80D right now, wanting to go to 6D MKII probably in a year. Wanting a EF so I can move up with it. Wanting something to replace the kit lens but not replace a 24-70mm focal range. Wouldn't mind a fast prime (already have 50mm 1.8) but don't know what focal length to look into. Any suggestions?

What do I shoot? Indoor average light no flash (not yet) / Outdoor candid & street no flash obviously . Wide angle like a 16-35mm wouldn't be out either but the price is a bit scary for a 2.8L III

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Of course the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is the lens you need.  But it will not work on a FF.

"80D right now, wanting to go to 6D MKII probably in a year."

You won't gain anything.  So why do you want to go FF.  Just because?  I think you need a valid reason or just say that is what I want. Just because!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

BHPhoto has a great sale on the 16-35 right now...

The EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM is a pretty good lens, too.  Unfortunately, the Canon Online Refurbished Store seems to be out stock on that lens, but they have a couple of others.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-17-40-f-4l-usm-refurbished

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-17-40-f-4l-usm-refurbished

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-24-105mm-f4l-is-ii-usm-refurbished

The best place to buy Canon gear, IMHO.  No original box, but you get the same one year warranty.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Rajjones wrote:

Made a huge long rant of a question but I'll shorten it for ease. 80D right now, wanting to go to 6D MKII probably in a year. Wanting a EF so I can move up with it. Wanting something to replace the kit lens but not replace a 24-70mm focal range. Wouldn't mind a fast prime (already have 50mm 1.8) but don't know what focal length to look into. Any suggestions?

What do I shoot? Indoor average light no flash (not yet) / Outdoor candid & street no flash obviously . Wide angle like a 16-35mm wouldn't be out either but the price is a bit scary for a 2.8L III

An ideal walker for a full-frame camera is bound to be a bit too long on an APS-C camera. But if you really intend to go FF in a year, it's probably silly to buy any more APS-C lenses. At the moment, the ideal FF walker is the 24-105mm f/4L (I or II). That leaves your 80D lacking in the lower mid-range, but that problem is easily solved if you have some extra cash on hand: Just add the 16-35mm F/2.8L III. It's a fine FF WA lens that will be at least as useful on your future 6D as on your 80D.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I would really reconsider that course.  The 6D2 is going to do what, that your 80D can't?  That could be money spent on better glass.  And, my friend, lenses are where it at. Not the camera

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I would really reconsider that course.  The 6D2 is going to do what, that your 80D can't?  That could be money spent on better glass.  And, my friend, lenses are where it at. Not the camera

One obvious answer to that question is that the 6D2's low-light performance is unmatched by any APS-C camera, including the 80D. If that's not important to you, Ernie is probably right.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

One obvious answer to that question is that the 6D2's low-light performance is unmatched by any APS-C camera, including the 80D. If that's not important to you, Ernie is probably right.

The 6D Mark II has a handful of features not found in the 80D.  The first two that came to mind are in-camera stabilization when shooting video.  It also has two automatic WB modes similar to those found in the 1Dx Mark II.  The first mode is the “grey card” WB that we are all accustomed to.  The second mode is a “white card” mode that allows to define “white” instead of “grey”.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements