cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Prime Lens for Canon T5i (APS-C)

phkc070408
Enthusiast

Hi:  I've been concerned about my ability to take good photos with less than ideal light.  My concern was bumping the ISO up too high and having a bunch of noise.  In addition to learning about the grain-reduction feature, it was recommended that I purchase a Prime Lense.

I previously owned a Prime Lense but didn't understand the benefit of it and it's true capabiltiies and sold it, and I totally regret it.  I'm looking for a good replacement.

Most of my pictires are of family (the rugrats) around the house, family vacations, and train and plane spotting.  While I dream of a crisp shot of a high-speed train well into Astronomical Twilight, I am aware that this probably wouldn't happen without some extreme equipement upgrades, but would enjoy some good during sunrise and sunset.  Obviously, my other pictures don't involve objects moving as fast.

I read good reviews about the Tameron F045, a 35mm Di lense with an F1.4.  I realize that 35mm Di lense on an APSC camera will be closer to 50mm.  While I will need to check that this works for me, I'm pretty sure it will be fine.  I also might use one of the emron teleconverters to give me some more zoom if I need it.  And there is always the ability to crop if that isn't enough.

Some reasons I'm chosing this route ofer the others:

1. The Canon EF version of this lense is way out of my budget

2. Most of my shots involving reduced light are out-doors meaning I don't need such a wide of an angle.  All of my indoor pictures can be done with plenty of lights and a flash beaming off of the ceiling.

3. I can't find a EF-S / Dii mount lense that goes below F2.8.  In fact, Tamron doens't have any Prime Dii lenses.  Canon has the 24mm F2.8 EF-S mount mense that I might consider in the future if necessary.

4. I'd like to set the table for going to a Ful Frame body in the future.

I am looking for comments on this plan, and am open to other sugestions.  Please note that spending much more than the roughy $1,400 for these two items is not an option.

Some specific Questions:

1. Will an EF / Di elnse work on an APS-C Camera?  I know it won't work in the other direction, but my understanding is it's not the connection, but that parts of the Dii lense will protrude too far into the body of a full-frame camera.

2. Are there any issues with using a Di lense with a teleconverter on an APS-C body?

Thanks in advance

26 REPLIES 26

"I choise the EF 50MM 1.8 becasue A. I might want to zoom farther than the 55mm on the EF-S lense will give me, and a 50mmEF = 80mm on an APS-C."

This makes no sense at all. I am stil so confused with what all you are saying.  You bought a great lens in the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. You don't need the ef 50mm f1.8 if you think it is longer (FL) it isn't. In fact it is shorter (FL)!  It is 50mm vs 55mm or equivalent 80mm vs 88mm. Send it back. Keep the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens that is the only lens you need.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes, but the 18-55mm is an APS-C Lens (EF-S) while the 50mm is an EF (Full Frame) lense.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Focal length is a property of the lens. The 17-55mm lens is 5mm longer than the 50mm lens. The angle of view or field of view is affected by the crop factor. The EF-S designation on the zoom lens denotes the lens mount. EF-S lenses are not compatible with full frame cameras. EF mount lenses are.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
The operative term to consider in crop sensor camera is “crop”.

What a crop sensor does is in effect crop a full size image so only a portion is on the sensor. The angle of view, or the projected image, for a 50mm lens is the same as an 80mm lens on a full frame camera.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Well I already ordered it, so I'll try it out.  I have 14 days to return it.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

“ Yes, but the 18-55mm is an APS-C Lens (EF-S) while the 50mm is an EF (Full Frame) lense.”

That is a common confusion/misconception. EF-S describes a mechanical lens mount design. APS-C describes a sensor size.

An EF-S lens will only fit on an EF-S lens mount

A lens designated as APS-C usually has a projected image circle only large enough to cover an APS-C sensor, which is why they tend to be smaller and less expensive- everything else equal.

Focal length is a physical property of the lens - it is not affected by the lens mount.

The 50mm f/1.8 isn't going to give you what you thought (i.e.25mm more than your zoom), but it is a great lens. It is sharp, light, relatively inexpensive and makes a nice lightweight portrait setup on a Rebel body. Small, light, inobtrusive and a shallower depth of field than a 2.8 lens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

"The 50mm f/1.8 isn't going to give you  do what you thought, ... It is sharp, light, relatively inexpensive and makes a nice lightweight portrait setup on a Rebel body."

The "single" thing the 50mil prime has going for it, is price.  Nothing else, matter of fact it is a limited use lens.  It does make a good portrait lens as mention in the quote but so does the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  All you did was duplicate the FL.

A lens is a lens is a lens and can never change unless physically altered. It matters not what camera you put it on, its FL can never change.

You need to educate yourself in photography otherwise you are going to waste money buying things that you don't need. It is clear you don't have a good understanding how this works. I would encourage you to ask questions and be as plain and open as possible.  Most of us here are willing and able to help.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements