cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a new lens.!!

jaikapoor
Apprentice

I bought my camera (200D) around a year ago and have been using the kit lens with it ever since, which has served me fine for a while. However I'd like to buy a lens with a lower f-stop so I can get bigger bokeh blurs in the backgrounds of my shots, and take better photos/videos in low light.

I'd be looking to get a lens with a preferrable f-stop of around 1.2-2.5.

I've been looking at buying the 50mm f1.8 lens, but was deterred from it when I found out that the crop sensor on my camera would effectively decrease the bokeh effect to something more similar to a lens with an f-stop of 3. Are there any alternatives that actually give me a 1.8 bokeh effect or are my options kinda limited because of the crop sensor?

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

"the EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM or Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 VC USD"

Not even a choice. Go with the Canon Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens.  Notice the "L".  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

While sharing YOUR LIST, Ernie gave the opinion that the Canon was the better choice. What is wrong with that?

Bokehen,

The Canon Community Forums are intended to be a safe place for users to learn about Canon products as well as ask questions about them or share your knowledge with your peers. 

Please re-read the Forum Guidelines in their entirety and please pay very close attention to the "Participation" section.

The Canon Community has always been a place to engage in intelligent and respectful conversation. If we (the Canon Moderators) observe any disruptive behavior or violations to the Forum Guidelines, we will be forced to take action that could include banning you from the site.

We appreciate your participation and understanding! 

Announcements