cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Frame vs Crop Lens?

RooDog
Contributor

I saw a video about lenses. It was talking about putting a Pro Lens on a Crop Sensor camera, hoping to get sharper photo. But that it was not as good as a Standard Lens. I did not think a Full Frame or Crop Sensor would need different lenses. I’ve never seen a lens say it was for one or the other.? Does it really matter? Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

@RooDog wrote:

Thanks so much. Weight and size can be an issue, mostly when trying to follow something moving. Very hard. I have  movable, multi joint, arm, that holds the camera. Then the camera is on a bird swing like gimbal. So I can turn 360, and rock up-down.

I was looking at this today, Canon EF-S 55-250, F4-5.6 IS STM. And its $299. But the same lens, minus the STM, is $149. The on-line chat guy said its exactly the same, but not as quite or smooth. Would be great to save that much it true. Think so?

I've always loved photography, but film was just to costly for how few turned out. A DSLR really helped that. I just started about 6 weeks ago, mostly doing double exposures, in camera. You can see some of my stuff at:

https://www.viewbug.com/member/MyDogRoo

Thanks so much, Greg

NO, they are not the same lens!

The STM version has much better image quality, and faster focus too!

If you live in the US you can buy the EF 55-250 IS STM refurbished from Canon with a one year warranty for $110

"NO, they are not the same lens!

The STM version has much better image quality, and faster focus too!"

----------------------------------------------------------

I want to stress those points.  No, they are not the same lens.  They two lenses have very different focusing mechanisms.  The only thing the two lenses have in common is zoom focal range, but not when it comes to performance and image quality.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements