cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firm ware updates for lens?

jimmy637
Contributor

Here is my situation, long time Canon DSLR user, purchased 7Dii, when using my EF 300mm f4 lens the 7Dii the lens did not recognize the lens for lens aberration correction. I sent the 7Dii in for repair because it was not giving me good focus. it was still under warranty. got it back and still did not have great results with 300mm f4. Sent the EF 300mm f4 in for repairs not under warranty my cost. Now the 7Dii recognizes the EF300mm f4!!!

So here is my question:

When I put other lenses on my camera and check for lens aberration and the lens is not recognized, do I have to send in my lens to have them updated??

Is there something Canon is not telling us?

I ask this because I was ready to sell every thing and switch manufactures because I have had a year of frustration with my 7Dii and was about ready to give up on photography with DSLR camera's and use a cell phone or point and shoot.

19 REPLIES 19

I just quote 'em. It could just be awkward Japanese->English.

"I get all of that except the last sentence. Are they saying that if a lens has been mounted on a camera that has that lens's correction data installed and enabled, the lens will come away with the correction data permanently applied and can make use thereof if it's subsequently mounted on a different camera? If so, that's certainly news to me."

I read that too mean that not all lenses have correction data available.  For example, for a long while, there was no correction data available for the latest "nifty fifty".  Canon finally added it to DPP last fall, which finds its' way into cameras.  Also, third party lenses will not have correction data in the cameras, either.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

This is not so or my T4i would have see the lens data that was available on the 7Dii?

I am guessing that having the correction data in the lens is something for the future, but that my T6S has hooks to let it use this new data, much like the flash sending color temperature data to the camera.

I have yet to see it mentioned in a lens data sheet or spec.

Thanks for your input, I think this email chain should be ended.

Update to tread.

Using the the EOS utility for the 1st time user.

From the Canon web site, I am Canadian,  http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/en/home, Click on Support and Drivers, top right side. Click on Consumer & Home Office, Click on Drivers Software & Manuals, Enter/find your model number, Eg; EOS Rebel T4i click on GO.

The complete list of down loads appears in a few seconds and provides the down loads by category.

In the Software Applications click on EOS utility zip file, go to the bottom of the new page and agree.

The file will down load.

After down load is complete find the file, I used file explorer, click on file and follow the instructions.

After you complete the quite simple instructions look for the the program,I use the windows start tab and the reference was there or do a search for EOS Lens Registration Tool.

Note that you have to have your Camera connected to your computer for the next step, use the mini usb to usb cable that came with the camera then turn on your camera.

A new window/drop down will appear and this is when you get to use the lens registration to add your lens data to your camera.

It is an easy task, click on the tab for the lens aberrations and a list with all the lens will appear. You can search buy categories, tick off all the lenses you want. go the bottom of the page and click on the OK and the program does the rest.

I may have missed explaining the steps or tabs exactly, i was writing this from memory, but you should be able decifer what is required.

Good luck

tried downloading the eos utilities instruction manual on my PC and it got lost in the files?
Please tell me i don't have to be computer expert to get my camera to recognize my lenses?

Since cameras and lenses are now computers, I guess so. You can always go back to film.

@jimmy637 wrote:
tried downloading the eos utilities instruction manual on my PC and it got lost in the files?
Please tell me i don't have to be computer expert to get my camera to recognize my lenses?

You have to be at least computer literate in order to make sensible use of any digital camera more complex than a cell phone. I'm sorry if I'm the bearer of bad news, but there it is. There are many things in life that one has to learn how to do.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@jimmy637 wrote:

I looked for updates for firmware for my  lenses, EF 400mm f5.6 has no firmware, EF-S 17-55 f2.8 only shows up on a Mac and the same for the EF300mm f4 only shows up on the Mac and not on my PC?

Looks like i have to down load firmware on my mac for the 300mm f4 and put it on my T4i?

Canon cameras get firmware updates, but I'm not aware that there's any such thing as a firmware update for a Canon lens. What there is, is lens aberration correction data, which is lens-specific (not camera-specific) and can be downloaded to the camera via EOS Utility and/or applied to RAW images via Digital Photo Professional. I have the 17-55mm f/2.8, and I've had no trouble installing the lens correction in DPP on a variety of PCs, from Windows XP through Windows 10.

Can you be more succinct and specific about exactly what your problem is?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements