cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter weight limit for 22mm f2 lens

Volph
Apprentice

Hi Yall,

I'm wondering what the weight limit for attaching filters are for the 22mm f2 lens? I want to attach a (1) step-up ring, (2) quick filter bracket, and (3) variable ND filter, but am afraid it would be too heavy and strain the af motor.

Any answers or comments appreciated! 

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Volph wrote:

Hi Yall,

I'm wondering what the weight limit for attaching filters are for the 22mm f2 lens? I want to attach a (1) step-up ring, (2) quick filter bracket, and (3) variable ND filter, but am afraid it would be too heavy and strain the af motor.

Any answers or comments appreciated! 

Your instincts serve you well.  Do not attach anything more than a single filter.  No stop up rings.  No "macro filters", etc.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Most of the time stacking a couple filters won't hurt the lens at all mechanically.  I would worry more about the possibility of vignetting.   On some lenses, even one filter will increase vignetting, especially the wider focal lengths. However, since the 22mm f2 is all plastic, it isn't built to be a strong man.  Best bet is to get the proper size filter and get a thin one too.

If you just have to do this and it does vignette, just crop the photo a little to eliminate it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Most of the time stacking a couple filters won't hurt the lens at all mechanically.  I would worry more about the possibility of vignetting.   On some lenses, even one filter will increase vignetting, especially the wider focal lengths. However, since the 22mm f2 is all plastic, it isn't built to be a strong man.  Best bet is to get the proper size filter and get a thin one too.

If you just have to do this and it does vignette, just crop the photo a little to eliminate it.

The OP is looking to attach enough gear that probably equals or exceeds the entire weight of the lens itself.  The lens weights in at 3.7 ounces, or 105 grams.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you both for your replys!

I weighted my filters and step-up rings, and the total weight came out to be around 70 grams.

However, the setup steps up the lens to a 58mm and I'm afraid small bumps on the filters will eventually affect the af motors down the road...

Announcements