cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favorite Lens?

Monica
Enthusiast

What is your favorite Canon lens to photograph with, and why?

66 REPLIES 66

I would say the 70-200/24-70 f/2.8 combo.

Versatility is the reason.

Both are big, expensive lenses, but they do a lot.
I'm not happy with the v/2 price tags, but the optical quality is there.

Yea, I'd have to go with the ones that I use the most frequently. I favor so many of the ones I have but the 100mm f/2.8L Macro gets used the most and coming in second would be the 24-105 f/4

Regards, Will G.

This is a tough one but I'd have tfast the 70-200 2.8 IS II so sharp and versatile, IQ is still good even with mark III extender. Also the speedy AF.

In a tie for second 100 L Macro - such a fun lens to use

and 24-105 IS as a general purpose walk around on FF

Honourable mention to the 70-300 DO, for lightweight travel it is so convenient, sure the IQ is not perfect but it puts all the co petition to shame. 

Arrrrrgggg! Ouch! This makes my head hurt! 🙂

I can't really say what is my favorite color, sometimes it's teal, or vermillion, or taupe. . .  🙂 It often depends on my mood and the colors (or lack of) that surround it. 

Choosing a favorite lens is pretty much the same difficulty.

Most used lens for general events: 24-70L

Most versatile: 28-300L

Most useful for interiors and landscape: 16-35L II

Best IQ and architecture: 24 TS-E II

Best "knock-around", travel, and family: 15-85 IS (wish there was an equivalent in FF)

Most artistic "Ah!" lens: 50/1.2L

Super sharp close-up/portrait; 100L IS

Most outlandish: 15 FE

Favorite bargain -- still the 50/2.5 macro (although that new 40 STM is trying to supplant it!)

General event or predictable assignment: 24-70 (gets the most use)

For wedding (2 cameras): 28-300, 50L

Unpredictable assignments "cover it all" -- 16-35 II, 28-300

Architecture inside and out -- 16-35 II, 24 TS-E II

Outdoors -- 24 TS-E, 45 TS-E, Leica R 60 Macro, 90 TS-E, 16-35 II

If I could only have one lens, it would be the 28-300L.

Or the 24-70.

Or 16-35 II.

Or. . . 

@jstntym wrote:

Yea, I'd have to go with the ones that I use the most frequently. I favor so many of the ones I have but the 100mm f/2.8L Macro gets used the most and coming in second would be the 24-105 f/4

I'm updating! The 24-70II is quickly becoming the favorite lens. I really hadn't used it all that much since recently purchasing it. I put some time on it today and quickly becoming a fan, great IQ results with minimal use so far. Going to keep it up front for awhile..

Regards, Will G.

My favorite lens is an old manual-focus 135/3.5 lens made by Jupiter! But I mostly use 50/1.8 which I like for its low weight.

LJG
Contributor

35L f/1.4. It really is a great all rounder on both my full frame and crop bodies. I tend to defer to it to the point where it now stays attached to my 5DII in my camera bag.

Cheers
Lloyd
5DII | 40D

TS-E 24L II and the 24-105L.

vtanner62
Apprentice
My 70-200 2.8L is my favorite with my 28-70 2.8L running a close second (both lenses are older, non IS versions, purchased in 1997). These lenses have been regularly serviced and have outlasted ALL of my EOS bodies.

Jake
Contributor

Canon 24-105L has to be my favorite. It is a great walk around lens. I always feel comfortable having it on my camera as I know I can shoot almost any situation with it. It is the lens I leave on my camera so if any quick situation arises, I know I can shoot it. It's also a super sharp lens with great autofocus. Sure is my #1 in reliability.

Announcements