cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Face AF Lens Questions

LePe
Contributor

Hello

First of all, I have a canon 80D with a 18-135 IS Nano USM lens, which supports the Face AF just fine on the 80D, will this lens also support face-AF on a C100 mk ll? 

And secondly, I'm thinking of getting a used 15-85 IS Ultrasonic for the 80D, can you tell me if that will support Face-AF on the 80D?

thanx in advance, I'm hoping for positive answers!

Chrs, Leon

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

"Face-AF" has nothing to do with the lens, it is all in the camera.

Well, I replied to a comment in a different thread that discusses which lenses do or don't support it, (and explicitely mentions the few lenses that do support face AF) Which was here:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Cinema-EOS-Discussions/C100-mkII-Face-AF/m-p/252396/highlight/fal...

but somehow I seem to have ended up on a different thread....

For a DSLR Face AF has nothing to do with the lens, but for the Canon Cinema cameras which are continuously adjusting focus and aperture apparently the camera is programmed for Face AF to only work with certain lenses.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Ah!  that explains a part of the confusion, so the 15-85 should work fine with the 80D, thanx.

Yet I still can't find anywhere if the canon c100 mk ll support Face AF in combination with the 18-135 nano USM, it does with the 18-135 STM....

@LePe wrote:

Ah!  that explains a part of the confusion, so the 15-85 should work fine with the 80D, thanx.

Yet I still can't find anywhere if the canon c100 mk ll support Face AF in combination with the 18-135 nano USM, it does with the 18-135 STM....

If a Canon zoom lens was released after 2009, then it will probably support face detection.  Prime lenses seem to be a different matter.  Some do, and some do not.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@LePe wrote:

Yes, the EOS C100 Mark II supports Face AF with the EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

Thanks Plee, Glad to hear!

@PLee wrote:

@LePe wrote:

Yes, the EOS C100 Mark II supports Face AF with the EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

I haven't used the C100 Mark II, but I do have a C100 with the Dual Pixel AF upgraded sensor.  John is correct.  The advanced feature of the Dual Pixel AF only works with certain STM zoom lenses.  However, subject tracking works just fine, and for all intents and purposes it works just as well as face detection in most shooting scenarios. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@PLee wrote:

@LePe wrote:

I haven't used the C100 Mark II, but I do have a C100 with the Dual Pixel AF upgraded sensor.  John is correct.  The advanced feature of the Dual Pixel AF only works with certain STM zoom lenses.  However, subject tracking works just fine, and for all intents and purposes it works just as well as face detection in most shooting scenarios. 

The EF-S 18-135 USM is the only non-STM that supports the Face AF functionality on the C100 Mark II.

Announcements