Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

FILMING WITH REBELT31, OPTIONS FOR RECORDING IN LOW LIGHT.

Hi there everyone.  My question is that I want to know about a lenses that supports me good definition and quality in low light conditions.  I am recording with a Rebel t3i. Thanks in advance.

jfo
Super Contributor

Re: FILMING WITH REBELT31, OPTIONS FOR RECORDING IN LOW LIGHT.

So we know what how technical of a discussion to have, can you give us a bit more information about what your experience is with photography / videos, what lens(es) you have now, what you are filming, etc?  

Occasional Contributor

This is my first DSLR and I am recording weddings and parties.  For the nature of these events, most of them have low light  conditions.  I also need advice of a gadget to record everything without changing SD cards.  Thanks.

Occasional Contributor

At the time, I've been working just with the 18-55 (the one that comes with the camera package), but I need an aditional lense because this lense I have, is graining all my videos because of the adjustment of ISO.

jfo
Super Contributor

@bebefle_89 wrote:

This is my first DSLR and I am recording weddings and parties.  For the nature of these events, most of them have low light  conditions.  I also need advice of a gadget to record everything without changing SD cards.  Thanks.

The solution is a bigger (higher capacity) SD card. =)  They go up to 64gb and 128gb now which should provide A LOT of recording capacity.  

@bebefle_89 wrote:

At the time, I've been working just with the 18-55 (the one that comes with the camera package), but I need an aditional lense because this lense I have, is graining all my videos because of the adjustment of ISO.

How much do you understand about f-stops, shutter speed, and ISO?  What exposure settings are you using now for your videos?  In short, you need a lens that can open up to a larger aperture (such as f/1.8, f1.4 or f1.2).

Here are some guides that will be helpful in explaining these concepts for you: 
http://www.exposureguide.com/exposure.htm

http://www.makethephoto.com/articles/how-to-make-the-jump-from-automatic-shooting-to-manual-shooting

Occasional Contributor

Hi JFO ...I understand about f stops, that is not the problem.  The problem in here is what lense you recommend, I want a 50mm f1.4 or f1.8...and there is a lot of differece in price between them, is there much difference in image quality? which one would you buy? is there any other lense you recommend? Thanks

Frequent Contributor

I  would  go with the f/1.4

jfo
Super Contributor

@bebefle_89 wrote:

want a 50mm f1.4 or f1.8...is there much difference in image quality? which one would you buy? is there any other lense you recommend? Thanks

I wish you would have just said so earlier! =)

@David wrote:

I  would  go with the f/1.4

I agree. If you can afford it, it has a wider aperture, better focus performance, and prettier bokeh. 

Occasional Contributor

Thanks both =)