cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension Tubes - Which One To Get: EF 12mm II or EF 25mm II

AndyMilnePhotog
Enthusiast

Hi guys,

I love macro photography, but I would like to get closer to my subject without spending too much money. I researched that extension tubes are the best option to get started in terms of image quality. I can't decide whether to get the EF 12mm II or the EF 25mm II extension tube. The camera that I have is a Canon Rebel T6i. Also, I have 3 lenses which are the 18-55 IS STM, 50mm f/1.8 STM & 55-250 IS STM. Feel free to share your suggestions on which one to get along with the pros, cons & alternatives. Thank you.

Andrew 

Andrew
Nature Photography Hobbyist / Enthusiast
Canon EOS Rebel T6i
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The general rule that I once read is use an extension tube that is roughly 25% of the focal length of the lens you are using. go with no more than 50% of the focal length.

It is possible to stack 1-3 extensions tubes to get a longer effective length.  However, the problem with stacking is that assembly can become a little shaky and unsteady.

One drawback with extension tubes is that you gain a shorter MFD, but you lose the ability to focus at infinity.  But, that is a “don’t care condition” when your goal is to photograph at short distances.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... but I would like to get closer to my subject without spending too much money."

This is always the case, isn't it?  It (low cost) and photography usually don't play well together.  However in your case a true macro lens is a better direction to go.  I have seen the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens in the refurb store for less than $300. I think extension tubes are in the $80 dollar range.  But a Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens will be far more useful because you can use it in 'normal' situations too.  Pretty nice to have a constant f2.8 lens that is super sharp.

An extension tube has one limited usefulness for $80 bucks!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

@Waddizzle: Since I'm a hiking kind of guy for my photography style, is a lightweight tripod good for me such as the Benro Slim CF tripod? A good number of reviews on Amazon say it is lightweight to carry around for travel/hiking, but the legs are sturdy. The ball on this tripod does not have drag knob, only the ratchet style single adjustment knob to lock and unlock the ball head. The price is $140 I think.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the Mefoto Roadtrip is $150 & the ball head has 3 adjustment knobs including the drag knob like you suggested. It weighs 3.6 LBS & the load capacity is 17.6 LBS vs. the Benro Silm weighing 2.2 LBS and has a 8.8 LBS load capacity.

Andrew
Canon EOS Rebel T6i

@AndyMilnePhotog wrote:

@Waddizzle: Since I'm a hiking kind of guy for my photography style, is a lightweight tripod good for me such as the Benro Slim CF tripod? A good number of reviews on Amazon say it is lightweight to carry around for travel/hiking, but the legs are sturdy. The ball on this tripod does not have drag knob, only the ratchet style single adjustment knob to lock and unlock the ball head. The price is $140 I think.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the Mefoto Roadtrip is $150 & the ball head has 3 adjustment knobs including the drag knob like you suggested. It weighs 3.6 LBS & the load capacity is 17.6 LBS vs. the Benro Silm weighing 2.2 LBS and has a 8.8 LBS load capacity.

Everyone wants a tripod that is light, sturdy, and cheap. The Fundamental Rule of Tripods is that you can have any two of those qualities, but not all three. If you think you've found one that does have all three, you're probably mistaken and should investigate carefully before laying out any money.

When judging load capacity, remember that one of the main reasons for owning a tripod is to accommodate camera/lens combinations that are too heavy to hand-hold.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"When judging load capacity, remember that one of the main reasons for owning a tripod is to accommodate camera/lens combinations that are too heavy to hand-hold."

Good advice but a tripod that is the best in the world isn't any good at all if you can't carry it.  I is too darn expensive and you can't afford it.  Bottom line, therefore you don't use it.  Find one that fits your needs or most of them any way.

EB

"...good number of reviews on Amazon ..."

Off subject a bit, if you are looking at any photo gear that is in a package deal from Amazon, don't buy it. You will be sorry.  Go to a real camera store.

EB

@ebiggs1  

...if you are looking at any photo gear that is in a package deal from Amazon, don't buy it. You will be sorry.  Go to a real camera store.

...Good advice but a tripod that is the best in the world isn't any good at all if you can't carry it.  It is too darn expensive and you can't afford it.  Bottom line, therefore you don't use it.  Find one that fits your needs or most of them any way.

Thanks for letting me know about that. It is probably a better idea for me to try out a tripod at a brick-&-mortar authorized retailer and get a hands-on demonstration. I like to hike several miles so a travel tripod is more suitable for my shooting style and getting the composition that I want. 

Andrew
Canon EOS Rebel T6i

Ditto that!  Smiley Very Happy

EB

@AndyMilnePhotog wrote:

@ebiggs1  

...if you are looking at any photo gear that is in a package deal from Amazon, don't buy it. You will be sorry.  Go to a real camera store.

...Good advice but a tripod that is the best in the world isn't any good at all if you can't carry it.  It is too darn expensive and you can't afford it.  Bottom line, therefore you don't use it.  Find one that fits your needs or most of them any way.

Thanks for letting me know about that. It is probably a better idea for me to try out a tripod at a brick-&-mortar authorized retailer and get a hands-on demonstration. I like to hike several miles so a travel tripod is more suitable for my shooting style and getting the composition that I want. 

I would not put much weight on reviews of technical gear posted on Amazon.  They are all posted by amateurs, making their first purchase of something “nice”, and really do not know what separates far from decent, or good from great.

Many of the reviews at online vendors like B&H are written by amateurs, too.  This is true for nearly all of the budget priced gear that they sell.  Try browsing through reviews of the more expensive gear.  Look at what performance features they comment about, and why.

...I would not put much weight on reviews of technical gear posted on Amazon.  They are all posted by amateurs, making their first purchase of something “nice”, and really do not know what separates far from decent, or good from great.

Many of the reviews at online vendors like B&H are written by amateurs, too.  This is true for nearly all of the budget priced gear that they sell.

@Waddizzle: Great point. Amateurs who post reviews online sometimes do not describe the long-term use of an item or whether it is built to last. After about a year or so, their item breaks up on them, and they end up having buyers remorse. I don't want that to happen to me. 

Since you recommended me to buy the legs and the head separately, are the Benro Adventure and/or the Manfrotto 190/190 Go! series of tripod legs a good place to start? 

Do you also have any thoughts on the new Manfrotto Befree Advanced Travel Aluminum tripod kit?

Are there any reputable review sites that specializes in tripod legs & tripod heads/accessories?

It is always great to have a second opinion for purchasing a great tripod for macro & landscapes the first time around. 🙂 

Andrew
Canon EOS Rebel T6i

Manfrotto is one of the top brands of tripods.  I am not a fan of the BeFree Series because the center column extends too high or use with a DSLR.  The rig seems like it could bee a little top heavy with the column fully extended. It should be fine with the column fully lowered.  The model that I looked at B&H had a Manfrotto 494 head, which does appear to have a drag knob.  Thumbs down on that tripod kit.

However, the Manfrotto 190 and 055 tripods are excellent legs.  They will likely be the first and last pair you’ll buy for a long while.  I am not a fan of Manfrotto heads because nearly all of them are not ArcaSwiss compatible.  Pairing up a 190, or an 055, with an Arca-Swiss compatible head is a good route.  BTW, most L-Brackets are made for Arca-Swiss clamps.

IMHO the Benro Adventure Series would be the best choice of those you cited.  I have bought a carbon versions for my sons, and they love them.  I paired them up with Benro B2 ball heads, which very good heads.  Of course, the Benro tripods come with an excellent case, which the Manfrotto tripods do not.

@AndyMilnePhotog wrote:

Benro and MeFoto have the same parent company, along with Induro.  The main difference between the brands seems to be the customer base each brand targets.  MeFoto is aimed at people who put a priority on price over performance.  Induro is aimed at people who put a priority on performance over price.  Benro sits in the middle, and dips into both end.

Browsing at B&H Photo Video .....

Without knowing the exact model numbers you are looking at, the MeFoto sounds like a “RoadTrip Aluminum Travel Tripod”, which is a decent tripod, except the head does not appear to have a drag adjustment.  Most budget priced tripod kits usually cut corner on the quality of the tripod [head]. If a specific model number for the head is not listed, then it is most likely not a very good tripod head.

The Benro Slim CF models that I see listed all have a load capacity that is too low, and a center column that extends too high.  These tripods may be useful with the column fully lowered, shooting level, with a point and shoot.  I do not recommend these for use with a DSLR..  MeFoto has a series of nearly identical tripods called Backpackers.

Like I posted above, quality tripod kits start at $200, and up.  It is hard to find a high quality tripod kit below that price point, not unless it on sale or clearance.

I suggest a tripod that handle upwards of 15 pounds, preferably over 20 lbs.  You would want a head that handle at least what the tripod is rated for, preferably much more.  I purchased my tripod legs and tripod heads separately, BTW.

Announcements