cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extender with 100-400mm lens.

TomMcMurray
Apprentice

I have heard and read both - The 1.4x extender will and will not allow autofocusing with a 7D and a 100-400mm lens. Does anyone know?

4 REPLIES 4

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

At the 100mm end of the zoom range, the lens becomes an f/6.3 -- and probably your camera can focus at f/6.3 ... but that's pretty much the limit.  At the 400mm end of the range (and in fact even at mid-zoom levels) the 7D wont be able to auto-focus.   The 5D III and 1D X have working phase-detect AF at f/8, but not the 7D.  Pretty much all bodies hit the limit at f/5.6  (but usually you can sneak in f/6.3), but only those two bodies have working auto-focus at f/8.

If there is enough light, it may be able to focus in live-view mode becasue that uses constrast-detection AF, rather than the phase-detect AF points and if there's enough light and contrast it may be able to work, but contrast-detection isn't as fast so if this is for sports or action photography then that's probably not worth persuing.

You could always rent a 1.4x from one of the many rental agencies and give it a try to see if it works for you.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you, TCampbell. I will see about a rental.

IF you do try it you will need to use the center AF point ONLY.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks cicopo, I'll remember that.

Announcements