cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essential Lenses?

DomnickLolas
Apprentice

I’m curious as to what people would consider an “essential lens”. I currently have the 70-200 4.0 and the 18-55. I mainly shoot wildlife and landscapes but want to open up what i can shoot with different lenses. What are some suggestions?

36 REPLIES 36

That kit might not work, we don't know if his camera can handle EF-S lenses

@kvbarkley wrote:

That kit might not work, we don't know if his camera can handle EF-S lenses

He has one of the 18-55's. They're all EF-S, aren't they?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

amfoto1
Authority

@DomnickLolas wrote:

I’m curious as to what people would consider an “essential lens”. I currently have the 70-200 4.0 and the 18-55. I mainly shoot wildlife and landscapes but want to open up what i can shoot with different lenses. What are some suggestions?

That 70-200mm is probably an excellent lens (most are).

Your 18-55mm is probably a "kit" lens... Okay, but you might be able to "do better".... especially for landscape photography.

An EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM would likely be a very nice and relatively direct upgrade from the 18-55.

But for landscape photography I often want a wider view and that might mean a different or additional lens.

For example, the EF-S 15-85mm IS USM is very good and nicely wider. Even though it's only a few millimeters, there's signficant difference between 18mm and 15mm wide angle lenses (OTOH, 3mm difference between telephotos is insignificatn). This might be a useful one-lens replacement for the 18-55mm.

But even wider are the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM and EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM. Both have excellent image quality. The 10-22mm if a bit more robust and 2/3 stop faster. The 10-18mm is very affordable, smaller, lighter and has image stabilization. Either or these "ultrawides" would be in addition to the 18-55 (or 17-55), wouldn't replace that lens (the way an 15-85mm might do).

Other popular choices... not necessarily landscape oriented:

- A fast 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 lens, which acts as short telephoto "portrait" lens on an APS-C camera .

- A macro lens for high magnification work, such as a 60mm to 100mm (several Canon or 3rd party choices).

- Longer telephotos such as 300mm, 400mm, 100-400mm for wildlife and more distant subjects.

- So-called "pancake" lenses like the Canon EF-S 24mm STM and EF 40mm STM, ultra compact and unobrtusive for street photography, among other things.

My advice would be to first decide what you want to shoot, then and only then possibly look at adding a lens for that purpose. But only if you can't accomplish it with what you've already got. Keep it simple. Many people (I might be one of them!) catch "gear acquisition syndrome" or "GAS". It's highly contagious and some of the first symptoms are reading photo blogs and posting questions like yours! Smiley Happy

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

ChrisPBacon
Enthusiast

@DomnickLolas wrote:

EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM

EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM

I also have a Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport (EF for Canon) 

Also:

Extender EF 1.4x III

Extender EF 2x III

...which I use with other lenses when I can.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.

"EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM

EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

Also:

Extender EF 1.4x III

Extender EF 2x III"

A somewhat curious bag. I always like to see what others carry in their bag. Makes you wonder how it comes about and the thought process involved.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM

EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

Also:

Extender EF 1.4x III

Extender EF 2x III"

A somewhat curious bag. I always like to see what others carry in their bag. Makes you wonder how it comes about and the thought process involved.

I agree.  The EF 2x III doesn't really fit in.  Neither extender will work with the Sigma 150-600mm, meaning you should get a lens error if you tried to use one.  That list sounds more like a complete camera kit in a very large backpack, than an everyday camera bag.  

I like to carry a camera body everywhere I go in a medium shoulder bag:

EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

EF 35mm f/2 IS USM - which was purchased prior to any of the above lenses

EF 1.4x III

Alll of that fits into my Lowepro Magnum 200 AW shoulder bag, which can hold the 70-200mm mounted to a body.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I was able to capture this entire rainbow with at 16mm using the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM.  

EOS 6D Mark II2019_10_101005392.jpg

My first shots were with the 24-70.  I switched lenses, and was able to capture the whole thing.

My standard set when traveling:

24-70 F2.8

70-200 F2.8

100 F2.8 macro

And generally I take the 1.4X for the 70-200 just in case.  I also have a 2X and one day I may actually take an image with it that I like but it hasn't happened yet.  The sharpest lens I own is an EF 300 F2.8 and although this lens plus 2X combo produces OK results, the difference in sharpness and contrast between the bare lens and the 2X is enough to really bother me. It turns a really great L series into a longer run of the mill lens.

When adding nicer glass, consider whether there is a real reason (or motivation) for YOU to go with a full frame camera in the near future and if so it is probably better to buy any new glass with that in mind.  The other elephant in the room for the future is Canon's change to a new mount for their mirrorless line.  I won't be making the change to mirrorless any time soon because of my primary use (sports) and the range of EF glass I own but for most people starting out with Canon or making a major upgrade of their current gear, the change to the RF mount is something to also consider. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

You make very interesting assumptions.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.

@ChrisPBacon wrote:

You make very interesting assumptions.

I do not think I am alone with this conclusion.  No one knows who or what you are referring to.

Announcements