cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essential Lenses?

DomnickLolas
Apprentice

I’m curious as to what people would consider an “essential lens”. I currently have the 70-200 4.0 and the 18-55. I mainly shoot wildlife and landscapes but want to open up what i can shoot with different lenses. What are some suggestions?

36 REPLIES 36

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

A Macro is always good, you don't say which camera, but for EF-S the 60 mm Macro is a good buy.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I currently have the 70-200 4.0 and the 18-55."

You've got what might be called "essential".  Unless your definition of essential has specific requirements. However, there are better lenses than what you have that do what you do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shanehaumpton
Apprentice

I'm a wildlife photographer.

I mainly focus on general wildlife photography and I'm using Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR.

If you are planning to buy one now is the right time because of the ongoing [Link Removed Per FORUM GUIDELINES] Cyber Monday.

"I'm using Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR."

I'm sorry.  Smiley Sad

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I'm using Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR."

I'm sorry.  Smiley Sad

Um ... The OP who asked the question isn't the person who mentioned the Nikon lens.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"The OP who asked the question isn't the person who mentioned the Nikon lens."

Your point, Robert?  I am still sorry for that individual.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"The OP who asked the question isn't the person who mentioned the Nikon lens."

Your point, Robert?  I am still sorry for that individual.

Ahhh, I misunderstood. I thought you were implying that the OP was a Nikon user and therefore couldn't have had EF-S lenses. Instead, you were apparently "sympathizing" with the Nikon user's misfortune. Laying aside the inconvenient fact that both you and I were Nikon users in the past, I acknowledge my misunderstanding and do herewithal withdraw from this incipient controversy.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

" Laying aside the inconvenient fact that both you and I were Nikon users ..."

Robert I maintain that gives us a better insight in Nikon gears. I could have gone either way. I think I made the correct decision in choosing Canon. There is no doubt Nikon makes great stuff. That lens is not one of their best efforts, IMHO, of course.

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@DomnickLolas wrote:

I’m curious as to what people would consider an “essential lens”. I currently have the 70-200 4.0 and the 18-55. I mainly shoot wildlife and landscapes but want to open up what i can shoot with different lenses. What are some suggestions?

What camera body are you using?  I would suggest Canon's "Portraut & Travel" two lens kit.   

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/portrait-and-travel-two-lens-kit 

The 70-200mm f/4L is a very good lens.  There are different versions of the 18-55mm kit lens.  The STM version of 18-55mm kit lens is also a pretty good lens.   It just does not have a wide aperture.

Another good investment would be a professional grade tripod or a high quality camera bag.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements