cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 99 and Error CF

Buddy1
Apprentice

My second-hand EOS 20D was working fine, and then it wasn't.  I get the error 99 message, so I take the battery out like the manual says. Then I get the CF error, so I turn off the camera, take that out, put it back in and format it, turn the camera on and get the error 99 massage again. I turn the camera off again, take the battery out and replace it, turn the camera back on, and hello, I get the CF error message again...and on and on we go.  Sometimes I can push the shutter button and the flash cover will pop up, but nothing else happens. I've cleaned the contacts on the lens. I've read all 21 pages of FAQs to try to find anything to help me, even emailed the former owner.  I'm hoping you can help me. I haven't really fiddled with many of the settings yet, so I don't think I've pushed something I shouldn't have. Oh and I've tried 2 different cards, same deal, plus on one all the pictures were lost, though I didn't format that card because it was already in the camera. Help!

6 REPLIES 6

Buddy1
Apprentice

I kept on searching and found another CF card post, and this one suggested the writer look in the slot and check for bent pins, so I did, with difficulty, and yes, I saw two.  I'm assuming this is the problem, and that now I must fint the closest Canon repair place and go there or mail the camera there. I hope they'll tell me the cost beforehand! Has anyone had this problem fixed before and how much did it set you back??  (I don't suppose I can fix it myself?)

Hi Buddy1!

Thank you for posting!

The camera is in need of repair.  However, it is no longer in service life and replacement parts are no longer available for us to repair it for you.  You may participate in the Canon Loyalty Program instead.  The Canon Loyalty Program option allows you to replace your current camera for a discounted fee, plus shipping.  The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided.  

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (800) OK CANON (800-652-2666) seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with online support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered.  Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The same thing is happening to me, however I don't get the error CF message. It really bites bcuz it will take a couple pictures, give the error, I take the lens off, battery out & card out. I let it sit for 10 mins or so and put it back together. I take a couple pictures and repeat the process. Is there really no way to fix it? I LOVE this camera!

Hi kellpaluga!

"ERR 99" is a general error code displayed by the camera when the camera knows that something is not working properly.  This error is typically associated with lens communication or shutter issues, but can be caused by other things as well.  To isolate the cause of the issue:

1.  Remove the battery, lens and card as you have been doing.

2.  Put the battery back in the camera and power it on.

If the error still shows, the camera will need to be repaired.  If not:

3.  Put the card back in the camera.

4.  Power the camera on.

Does the error appear?  If so, try using a different card.  When you use another card and the error goes away, the cause is the first card you were using and you will need to use a different card.  However, if the error never shows to begin with:

5.  Clean the contacts on the lens with a soft microfiber cleaning cloth.

6.  Reattach the lens.

7.  Power the camera on.

Does the error appear?  If so, try using a different lens.  If the error only shows with one particular lens attached, that lens may need to be serviced.  If it shows with any lens attached, the camera may need to be serviced.

To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First make sure the battery and charger are working.  Get a new battery.

The camera should work whether it has a CF card and/or lens attached so neither is causing the error 99 it you remove both and turn it on.  Fully charged battery of course!

You can straighten the bent pins but you need a long needle nose plier to do it.  Something like a jewerly store would have.

They are fragile and easily broken off if bent too much.

There should be local camera repair shops that can do this for you.  The EOS 20D (8MP) is a reasonably good camera but it isn't worth a great deal of repair money.  It would be better to get another one or upgrade it to a newer body, if the cost gets too high.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

MartyD
Apprentice
I have an EOS Rebel xti I bought used, has a 512mb CF card, works great, but not enough storage. I purchased a 32G Sandisk, will not format, error 99. I returned this and purchased one recommended for Canon, same issue, error 99. My 512mb disk works fine, just need more storage. Is 32G too large?
Announcements