cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos RebelT6 1300D lense

lostarts
Contributor

which lense is appropriate for subject to fill picture for printing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There isn't any.  I believe what you're speaking to is that a human is generally not in a 2:3 aspect ratio.  And thus when shooting an image in portrait orientation, head at the top, feet at bottom, you have negative space on the left/right.  Is that what you're speaking to?

For printing, it will depend upon the aspect ratio of the paper.  Unless it too will be in a 2:3 aspect ratio, you'll have to crop.

Same for any other aspect ratio you capture in; some cropping may be needed.

If you want to absolutely maximize the resolution (if you're making seriouslly large prints), you can always do panoramas (e.g. take 3 or perhaps 5 landscape-oriented shots of the person).  This requires special skills and/or dedicated pano equipment and tripods to pull off.  And then you're subject will have to be very still the whole time.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

I you want to capture images and do printing, you'll need to understand aspect ratio.

Its a ratio between the width and height of an image.  For 1:1, the image would be square.  Same width as height.  For 2:1, it would be twice as wide as it is tall.  kvbarkley's post above shows where to go into the settings.

I rarely will print my images.  But when doing so, I typically do an 8 by 10 or 16 by 20.  These are 4:5 ratios which are a bit more square than 3:2 which is the default what you're camera would capture.

So one has to be careful to not fill the entire frame in that 3:2 aspect ratio and expect everything to fit in that 8 by 10 (4:5).  Example here:

aspect_ratio.jpg

The original image (gray and black squares) represent a 3:2 aspect-ratio image.  But when wanting to out to a 10 x 8 (or 20 x 16) which is a 5:4 aspect ratio, you'd need to crop.  So when framing stuff for printing to this size, I just remember to not include important stuff that would get cropped out.

--
Ricky

Two suggestions:

Crop in Photoshop.

Turn the camera sideways.

so instead of this aspect:

IMG_8413.jpeg

You get this one:

IMG_7727 (1).jpg

lostarts
Contributor

Which lense is best to have "person" shot, fill the entire screen for printing?

I have EFS 18-55mm and 75-300mm. Neither will do that.

Please only one thread per issue.  Other thread for this here.

--
Ricky

Show us some examples.

"Which lense is best to have "person" shot, fill the entire screen for printing?

I have EFS 18-55mm and 75-300mm. Neither will do that."

Yes, they will. Either will do it?  The problem is how you use them and how you edit the photos. There is no such thing as a lens that will  produce a great picture without input from you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements