cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS SLR/DSLR Lens compatiblity

OldAbuelo
Apprentice

I have several lenses which were used with Canon SLR model EOS 750 35mm film camera. Will these lenses work with any current Canon EOS DSLR models (or DSLR models no longer produced but which I might be able to purchase used)?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Since your previous camera was a 35mm film camera, it used lenses which produce a fairly large "image circle" inside the camera body.   The image had to be large enough to completely cover the frame of 35mm film.

On a digital camera, a "full frame" sensor body (such as a 6D, 5D, or several of the 1D bodies) have sensors which are the same size of a frame of 35mm negative film.  

The lenses that project this large image circle suitable for use on any 35mm EOS "film" camera or full frame EOS "digital" camera are called "EF" series lenses (they are still "EOS" lenses... but they have a model prefix... such as "EF 50mm f/1.4 USM" -- notice the "EF" at the front of the name.

Canon EOS "EF" series lenses can be used on ANY Canon "EOS" body -- regardless of whether it is a film body or a digital body and all functions will work.  e.g. if it's an auto-focusing lens then the auto-focus will work.  The camera will be able to control aperture settings, etc.  You can think of these "EF" lenses as being universal to all EOS bodies.

But there is another sensor size which is extremely common. 

All "Rebel" series cameras as well as all mid-level cameras (the 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, and 70D) as well as the 7D, all use "APS-C" size sensors.  This sensor is roughly the size of a single frame of "Advanced Photo System - Classic" size film, which is a bit smaller than 35mm film.   Since the sensor is smaller, they have the ability to use a lens which projects a smaller image circle.

These cameras can use lenses which project a smaller image circle because they have a smaller sensor size.  Canon makes a series of lenses intended for these smaller sensors.  These are "EF-S" series lenses.  You'll know them becauase the name has an "EF-S" prefix such as "EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 STM"  (notice the "EF-S" prefix in front of the name).  These lenses are able to take advantage of cost savings because the lenses do not need to project a large image circle.

While all "Rebel" bodies and all mid-level bodies (except the 10D) can use "EF-S" lenses, they can ALSO use "EF" lenses (remember... "EF" lenses are universal to all Canon EOS bodies).    The 10D is the only exception but that's a very old camera and hasn't been in production for years.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

diverhank
Authority

The EOS 750 has an EF lens mount which is the same as the modern Canon DSLR.  Therefore the lenses used with the EOS 750 should work.  The key is to look for info on the type of lens mount (EF in this case).

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thanks for quick reply ..... lenses are EF series .... sorry I didn't mention it in original message.

"...lenses are EF series..."

Canon lenses will work fine.

Some older third party lenses in EF mount might not work properly on newer cameras.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Thanks.

Since your previous camera was a 35mm film camera, it used lenses which produce a fairly large "image circle" inside the camera body.   The image had to be large enough to completely cover the frame of 35mm film.

On a digital camera, a "full frame" sensor body (such as a 6D, 5D, or several of the 1D bodies) have sensors which are the same size of a frame of 35mm negative film.  

The lenses that project this large image circle suitable for use on any 35mm EOS "film" camera or full frame EOS "digital" camera are called "EF" series lenses (they are still "EOS" lenses... but they have a model prefix... such as "EF 50mm f/1.4 USM" -- notice the "EF" at the front of the name.

Canon EOS "EF" series lenses can be used on ANY Canon "EOS" body -- regardless of whether it is a film body or a digital body and all functions will work.  e.g. if it's an auto-focusing lens then the auto-focus will work.  The camera will be able to control aperture settings, etc.  You can think of these "EF" lenses as being universal to all EOS bodies.

But there is another sensor size which is extremely common. 

All "Rebel" series cameras as well as all mid-level cameras (the 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, and 70D) as well as the 7D, all use "APS-C" size sensors.  This sensor is roughly the size of a single frame of "Advanced Photo System - Classic" size film, which is a bit smaller than 35mm film.   Since the sensor is smaller, they have the ability to use a lens which projects a smaller image circle.

These cameras can use lenses which project a smaller image circle because they have a smaller sensor size.  Canon makes a series of lenses intended for these smaller sensors.  These are "EF-S" series lenses.  You'll know them becauase the name has an "EF-S" prefix such as "EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 STM"  (notice the "EF-S" prefix in front of the name).  These lenses are able to take advantage of cost savings because the lenses do not need to project a large image circle.

While all "Rebel" bodies and all mid-level bodies (except the 10D) can use "EF-S" lenses, they can ALSO use "EF" lenses (remember... "EF" lenses are universal to all Canon EOS bodies).    The 10D is the only exception but that's a very old camera and hasn't been in production for years.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for the detailed response!

Johnnybgolfing
Apprentice

I have searched the canon community extensively but only found conflicting reports.  I have a Canon Eos 10D, and two EF lenses I've used with it.  I'm looking to upgrade to a 7D, and want to make sure the EF lenses will work with the 7D.  Both cameras are APS-C format, but I've read posts that say they will work, they won't work, and they CAN work.  I need to know for sure before making the purchase.  Please help, thanks.

@Johnnybgolfing wrote:

I have searched the canon community extensively but only found conflicting reports.  I have a Canon Eos 10D, and two EF lenses I've used with it.  I'm looking to upgrade to a 7D, and want to make sure the EF lenses will work with the 7D.  Both cameras are APS-C format, but I've read posts that say they will work, they won't work, and they CAN work.  I need to know for sure before making the purchase.  Please help, thanks.

Yes, any EF lens will work on a 7D.

The incompatibility is the other way around. The 10D, though an APS-C camera, will not accept EF-S lenses, because it preceded the invention of the special mount that allows later APS-C cameras (such as the 7D) to accept both EF and EF-S lenses.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you so much!

Announcements