cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS EFS 10-18mm

john_star_man
Apprentice

Hi All,

I'm new to photography & getting to grips with my EOS80D + 10-18mm. My interest is seascape/ landscape. I've noticed that in a large % of my images I have issues with lens flare even when I have back to sun or sun is not even in image or obscured by thick cloud. Is this a known problem. I've attached a sample image to show you the issue - this is a full size crop from a problem image. In this instance sun was in image which has exacerbated problem

Really appreciate any help - thks,  John

Camera_ lens flare problem

14 REPLIES 14

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

That is not flare, that is cruft in the lens or sensor, it probably needs to be sent to Canon for cleaning.

Many thanks for you quick response. The camera / Lens is pretty much brand new so I am suprised it would be so dirty - I have had a UV on lens since new. Looking at the lens I can't see any dirt. Also I don't see such issues if I take shots inside etc.which makes me think its not lens or sensor dirt?

Thks,  John

Check out this review by Ken Rockwell:

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/10-18mm.htm

Where he specifically looks for flare. I see no indication of what you are seeing.

(If the link gets scrubbed, google Ken Rockwell Canon lens and scroll down to the lens.)

I think it is scattering off of a bunch of particles. Besides, he says that he sees it when his back is to the sun, a hood won't help there!

@kvbarkley wrote:

I think it is scattering off of a bunch of particles. Besides, he says that he sees it when his back is to the sun, a hood won't help there!

You don't have to have the sun in your FOV to get flare. All you need is a spot bright enough to reflect off the lens and then off the back surface of the filter.

Eight or ten years ago my main walkaround lens was a well made but optically challenged Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8. I couldn't trust it not to exhibit flare, no matter what direction I was facing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

In any case, that is not typical of the EF-S 10-18mm.

@john_star_man wrote:

Many thanks for you quick response. The camera / Lens is pretty much brand new so I am suprised it would be so dirty - I have had a UV on lens since new. Looking at the lens I can't see any dirt. Also I don't see such issues if I take shots inside etc.which makes me think its not lens or sensor dirt?

Thks,  John

Looks a whole lot like ocean spray to me.  Did you change lenses at the beach?  

Instead of thinking, try to be an objective observer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@kvbarkley wrote:

That is not flare, that is cruft in the lens or sensor, it probably needs to be sent to Canon for cleaning.

It looks like flare to me. Dirt on the sensor is usually less OOF and tends to be more prominent in light areas than in dark. I'd start by taking Ernie's advice to use a lens hood and no filter.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try a lens hood.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements