cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EFS 17-55 sticking f-stop

Turbotom
Apprentice
I love this lens, but I recently started getting error 99 messages when trying to use it.

After playing around with it, I discovered that the f-stop sticks at any zoom and spits out the error message...but it works fine when shooting at 17mm (no zoom). Any idea what caused this and how to fix it?
6 REPLIES 6

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Turbotom wrote:
I love this lens, but I recently started getting error 99 messages when trying to use it.

After playing around with it, I discovered that the f-stop sticks at any zoom and spits out the error message...but it works fine when shooting at 17mm (no zoom). Any idea what caused this and how to fix it?

Sounds like it needs a trip to Canon for repair. 

As to what causes it, I believe there is a small capacitor in the lens that is used to provide extra power to actuate the aperture blades, most likely that capacitor died. 

Peter
Authority
Authority

A common problem with the 17-85 from same time is the aperture flex cable. Use google and check for your self. The solution is to send it in to Canon or to self change it.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You have the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6  standard kit lens or do you have the better EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM ?

If the first consider the total cost of repair vs replacing.  At $200 repair may be close to a brand new lens.

Try the lens on a different camera, or try using a different lens on your Canon camera.  This way you will know if the lens is causing the problem. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It's the pricy 2.8 lens. I bought it years ago and has been my favorite lens by far. 

I've never sent anything to Canon for repair. Can I expect a $200 bill?

I haven't tried it on another camera body, but all of my other lenses work fine.

You need to call them.  They probably have a fixed rate.  I can't see it much below $150-$200 from my experience of years of dealing with them.  But I don't work for Canon so a call is in order.  The fee rate includes bringing it back to factory specs not just the fixing the broken part(s).

Also, there will be shipping at least you getting it there.  Keep that in mind.  You are right, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is a wonderful lens.  It is worth fixing and keeping it in top condition.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Turbotom wrote:

It's the pricy 2.8 lens. I bought it years ago and has been my favorite lens by far. 

I've never sent anything to Canon for repair. Can I expect a $200 bill?

I haven't tried it on another camera body, but all of my other lenses work fine.

The EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS sells for $800 new and $600 refurbished. So a $200 repair isn't close to being the cost of replacing the lens. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements