cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L with 1.4x TC on a crop body

Steves_8
Contributor

Has anybody used this combination? I'm looking at spending a few k's on some new kit. I have the 1.4TC already and I'm thinking of getting a 7D2 to complement my 5D4. The max reach with this combo would be a staggering 896mm, but what the IQ and effective max aperture would be, I don't know. Would the AF even work? That's not necessarily a problem, but nice to know either way.

I have the 70-200mm f/2.8L II and love it to bits. When I sit down to process a day's worth of shots, I can't wait to get to those shot with the 70-200. I always smile!  Would I be really disappointed with the results from the above combo?

I would use it principally for sports and wildlife.

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

A 7D2, 100-400mm, and a 1.4x can b a great combo, provided that you have the latest 1.4x, version III.

I have that combo, but it is not the 7D2 is only used on bright sunny days, if then.  Or, if I want some extra reach, which really isn’t very often.  I am not impressed with the low noise performance of the 7D2, compared to 6D or 6D2.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am not a big fan of tel-cons.  If I were you I would check out the new Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 for your 7D Mk II.  Nearly a hundred (equivalent) mm bigger than the combo you are thinking of.  You know, however, that kind of FL will present its own set of issues?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1wrote:

I am not a big fan of tel-cons.  If I were you I would check out the new Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 for your 7D Mk II.  Nearly a hundred (equivalent) mm bigger than the combo you are thinking of.  You know, however, that kind of FL will present its own set of issues?

I already have the 1.4x v3 and use it with my 70-200 f/2.8L v2. I can get fantastic results with that combo, though on the 5D3, the reach still isn't amazing.

My primary interest in the 100-400mm is around flexibility when shooting sports that are happening all around me, some action relatively near, some much further away. 

I will look at the Tamron. It wasn't on my radar simply because I instinctively assumed a lens with that sort of spec/price would be a poor performer, but a quick look at a couple of reviews suggests otherwise. I would definitely have to give my monpod a day out whenever I used it though! Thanks.

Just another option.  Take a look at it.  They both are very nice lenses. I simply prefer native FL vs tel-cons.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Steves_8wrote:

@ebiggs1wrote:

I already have the 1.4x v3 and use it with my 70-200 f/2.8L v2. I can get fantastic results with that combo, though on the 5D3, the reach still isn't fantastic.

My primary interest in the 100-400mm is around flexibility when shooting sports that are happening all around me, some action relatively near, some much further away. 

I will look at the Tamron. It wasn't on my radar simply because I instinctively assumed a lens with that sort of spec/price would be a poor performer, but a quick look at a couple of reviews suggests otherwise. I would definitely have to give my monpod a day out whenever I used it though! Thanks.

Take a look. You will not be reduced to one AF point, the center, which is what will happen with the 7D2, 100-400mm, and 1.4x combo.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

JosephKarpinski
Contributor

I have this combination on a Canon 80D.

Love it.

27 AF points at f/8 for 896mm.

Quick and sharp.

Great for BIF.

Only one AF point on a Canon 7D Mark II

Posted on the same community site a similar question just now.

Give it a look, to see my issues.

Announcements