cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-s 50mm f/1.8 STM good for a "point and shoot" wife?

theandies
Enthusiast

As my title implies, my wife is a "point and shoot" photographer.  She mainly uses her point and shoot at the school where she teaches taking portrait shots and the occasional action photo of her students (pre-school ages, indoors and out).  Would the EF-s 50mm f/1.8 STM be a good "all around" lens for these types of shots?  I have a Rebel T6i that I bought because wanted some of the more advanced features (changeable lens and manual control) of a DSLR over a point and shoot and ease of use for my wife.  I also wanted the WiFi features as my wife has no idea what an SD card is (she is very technically challenged) and I wanted an easy way for her to transfer her shots to her iPad (which the T6i has accomplished beautifully).

Thanks

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

"Not so good for candid or group shots because of the depth of field with the fixed focal length but can be artistic."

This is a bit ...ah... wrong!  On top of the list when comparing a prime 50mm lens to a zoom is, a prime is more limited to what it does well.  This means you must weigh the bennys to the downsides.

A 50mm on a T6 can be great for candids becuase you don't have to be as close to the kid(s).  It can be a problem because you can't be as close to the kid(s).  Do you kinda see this trend. The 'depth-fo-field', DOF, has nothing to do with it in this case.

No Point & Shoot, P&S, that are worth having are limited to a fixed or prime lens.  IE, the Canon G series of P&S.  I have a G15 and it ia a great camera.  However, this level of P&S does not come cheaply.

Sorry but the lens I would reccomend for her and you is not going to come cheaply either.  But you already dropped the coin on a mighty fine camera so here is my thought, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM.  It gives you almost the best of both worlds.  It is fast.  It has a good focal range.  It has outstanding IQ.  It will make the T6 as close to the best P&S there is.

So my long winded answer to your question, "EF-s 50mm f/1.8 STM good for a "point and shoot" wife?"

No, it wouldn't.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
I'm not sure I understand the question.

I gather than YOU have a T6i and it probably came with a kit lens. Are you asking about buying another camera for your wife and also buying a 50mm lens? Or does she use your T6i and you're thinking about buying another lens for it?

The T6i has an "APS-C" crop-frame size sensor. APS-C refers to "Advanced Photo System - Classic" size film because the digital sensor on the camera is roughly the same size as a single frame of APS-C film (60% smaller than 35mm film).

When you use a 50mm lens with an APS-C camera, it provides a focal length similar to what you'd get using an 80mm lens on a full frame (digital sensor is the same size as a single frame of 35mm film) camera. This is a nice "portrati" focal length. It's a bit narrow for candid photography (not there are rules about this -- you certainly could use it for candids anyway).

The big advantage to the lens is the focal ratio -- f/1.8. It gathers about 10x more light than the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens can gather (assuming the kit lens is also at a 50mm focal length).

There is a trade-off when using a low focal ratio... the depth of field (range of distances from the lens' focused distance at which a subject will appear to be reasonably in focus) is reduced. That means foregrounds and backgrounds will be blurred (often that's actually a good thing and even somewhat artistic) but if you intend to take a photograph of a group of people it can also mean that some subjects will not be focused.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

theandies
Enthusiast

Tim,

Once again thanks for your input.

She will be using the camera and she is just a point and shoot kind of gal.  I think over time she'd get used to the kit lens that came with the T6 but what I'm looking for is a fixed focal length lens so all she has to do is......well......point and shoot.  I think the f/1.8 would be good for her indoor shots.   Hope I've clarified my question a little.

So:

Good for portraits and low light

Not so good for candid or group shots because of the depth of field with the fixed focal length but can be artistic.  I think she would grow to appreciate that over time though.

Is that about right? 

"Not so good for candid or group shots because of the depth of field with the fixed focal length but can be artistic."

This is a bit ...ah... wrong!  On top of the list when comparing a prime 50mm lens to a zoom is, a prime is more limited to what it does well.  This means you must weigh the bennys to the downsides.

A 50mm on a T6 can be great for candids becuase you don't have to be as close to the kid(s).  It can be a problem because you can't be as close to the kid(s).  Do you kinda see this trend. The 'depth-fo-field', DOF, has nothing to do with it in this case.

No Point & Shoot, P&S, that are worth having are limited to a fixed or prime lens.  IE, the Canon G series of P&S.  I have a G15 and it ia a great camera.  However, this level of P&S does not come cheaply.

Sorry but the lens I would reccomend for her and you is not going to come cheaply either.  But you already dropped the coin on a mighty fine camera so here is my thought, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM.  It gives you almost the best of both worlds.  It is fast.  It has a good focal range.  It has outstanding IQ.  It will make the T6 as close to the best P&S there is.

So my long winded answer to your question, "EF-s 50mm f/1.8 STM good for a "point and shoot" wife?"

No, it wouldn't.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements