cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF lens diameter of image field.

Cunha
Rising Star
Dear friends,

I need to know exactly the size of the projection circle or diameter of image field, of my Canon lenses. I am not finding this information online or in my Canon documentation. Please, I ask you for this information.

Lens:
Canon EF 100mm f / 2.8L Macro IS USM Lens
Canon MP-E 65mm f / 2.8 1-5x Macro Photo Lens
Canon EF 40mm f / 2.8 STM Lens (with Macro function)

In the future I intend to acquire some excellent and new Canon Tilt & Shift (50mm, 90mm 135mm) with macro capability and I know that they have a huge projection circle or diameter of image field, that will freely cover the medium format sensor, but I also don’t know specifically its circle measurements projection. If you can provide this information as well, I am also very grateful.

Thank you very much for your precious help.
Good health for you.

19 REPLIES 19

Thanks. I am aware of all that. But thank you very much.

The Zeiss Classic/Milvus/Otus DIF (Diameter Image Field) is 43mm (all lenses but the Otus 28mm = 43,3mm ).
My sensor is 0,8mm bigger than 43mm. An hair but, there is a tiny difference.
Where is Canon lenses DIF?

It is not specified, at least not that I have seen. It might be buried in a white paper on a specific lens. That is the nice thing about designing to your own mount.

Maybe .-)

I have never seen it specified. Possibly because Canon, unlike Zeiss, is manufacturing their lens for a specific camera system and therefore no one needs to know that property of the lens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Possibly true.

@Cunha wrote:
Thanks. I am aware of all that. But thank you very much.

The Zeiss Classic/Milvus/Otus DIF (Diameter Image Field) is 43mm (all lenses but the Otus 28mm = 43,3mm ).
My sensor is 0,8mm bigger than 43mm. An hair but, there is a tiny difference.
Where is Canon lenses DIF?

Hello, Cunha,

According to EOS Magazine, the image circle of an EF lens is 43.2mm and EF-S is 27.3mm. This article is about tilt/shift lenses, which have a much larger image circle.

https://www.eos-magazine.com/articles/eospedia/canon-tilt-and-shift-lenses.html

I hope this helps.

FD

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thank you very much.

At last!

🙂

Be safe.

PLee
Enthusiast

The TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Macro, TS-E 90mm f/2.8L Macro and TS-E 135mm f/4L Macro all have an image circle of 67.2mm.

Yes I know .-) Amazing lenses. Thanks.

Marinna
Apprentice
If their image circle is 43.2 it’s good enough to cover most pixels in a MF sensor (I.e. 44mm * 33mm)

I saw from some adaptor manufacturer that this circle is not constant across all lens. I think this number is probably the best possible scenario. It reported telephoto lens works better than wide angle, but I would think it should be the other way around.
Announcements