cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF lens diameter of image field.

Cunha
Rising Star
Dear friends,

I need to know exactly the size of the projection circle or diameter of image field, of my Canon lenses. I am not finding this information online or in my Canon documentation. Please, I ask you for this information.

Lens:
Canon EF 100mm f / 2.8L Macro IS USM Lens
Canon MP-E 65mm f / 2.8 1-5x Macro Photo Lens
Canon EF 40mm f / 2.8 STM Lens (with Macro function)

In the future I intend to acquire some excellent and new Canon Tilt & Shift (50mm, 90mm 135mm) with macro capability and I know that they have a huge projection circle or diameter of image field, that will freely cover the medium format sensor, but I also don’t know specifically its circle measurements projection. If you can provide this information as well, I am also very grateful.

Thank you very much for your precious help.
Good health for you.

19 REPLIES 19

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What is this information going to be used for?

Night sky photography

Some type of projection

Why is it needed?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Greetings,

thank you for your message.

Macro work with medium format sensor.

Best regards

The decent quality image circle can't be much larger than the sensor, or Canon would not have limited EF-S lenses to an APS sized image on the R's

Thanks.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...the projection circle or diameter of image field, of my Canon lenses."

You are simply asking, what is the angle of view (AOV) of my lens. I am sure there is an equation to figure that out somewhere. Should be easy to find or figure out.

If your thought is to use a 35mm (EF or R) type lens on a MF camera forget it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

No, I will not forget .-) I am aware about the issues.
If you want to help constructively, I appreciate it.

An example: Zeiss ZE lens; lens diameter field=43mm (Zeiss Data sheet)
Canon macro lens?
Thanks.

It is more complicated than that, angle of view depends on the sensor.

Think of an EF lens on an EF-S camera. The angle of view is narrower than that you would get on an EF camera. So the image circle is larger, and some is "wasted" around the APS-C sized sensor.

Thanks.
But that information must exist somewhere.
I reiterate that Zeiss is available and is 43mm for all Classic, Milvus and Otus lenses. Maybe Canon has the same measurement, but I can't find ...
😞

"It is more complicated than that, angle of view depends on the sensor."

It is complicated or at least hard to understand or grasp.  The AOV never changes on any lens. It can't. The smaller sensor is exposed to exactly the same AOV, it simply doesn't see the excess because of its size. This is how we get an equivalent FL.

If on the other hand you wanted to go to a larger sensor the image circle or AOV might not be large enough to cover the MF sensor. You will be left with a black ring around your photos.

The dimensions of a 35mm sensor are typically 36×24mm. I imagine the image circle that Canon EF or R lenses produce will fill that with the appropriate circle diameter. Since it is not square the rest gets wasted just like a crop sensor does.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements