cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM No Image

CDC
Contributor

Canon 70D works fine with other lenses, but with the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM only a very blurry image.  Can see and takes pictures of objects at about 1 inch distance but anything farther apart is blurry.  Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

" If I 'screw' the .43x wide angle comverter w/macro, then I am able to see the image."

OK slowly now, is there anything screwed onto the front of the lens? Anything?  Remove any and all whatevers from the front of the lens.  Is there anything attached to the back of the lens?  Remove it too. You should have just the lens no add ons, no filters, no lenses. Nothing but the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM itself.

Reset your camera to factory.  Menus, tools, clear all settings and clear all custom settings.

Now mount it to your camera and try it. Lens switch in the AF position. Camera in P mode on the dial. ISO 200. One shot mode. Do not use Ai-servo. Go outside on a nice sunny day and take several shots of various subjects.  Maybe a nice park.  If it works, it works and there is nothing wrong with your gear.  If it does not work the lens is faulty. Replace it.

Do the test exactly as I have stated it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

jongraphs
Contributor
What happens when you adjust the focus ring? Anything?

Being an STM lens you will need to switch it to MF then hold the shutter button halfway before turning the lens focus ring. If you can get correct focus in this way but not when it is switched to AF then you very likely have a faulty lens.

Thanks for your response.  I tried your method but still no image.  

This is what I get from any distance farther than 1":

IMG_2366.JPG

Is there a macro filter on the lens?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes: Macro 0.85m/2.8ft

@CDC wrote:

Yes: Macro 0.85m/2.8ft

That doesn't exactly sound like a lens filter.  A lens filter is something that can be temporarily screwed on to the front of a lens, A macro filter will allow you to focus on objects much closer to the lens than what you could normally do.   Being able to focus one inch from the lens is MUCH closer than the listed Miinimum Focusing Distance specified for that lens.

The price you pay for being able to focus so close is that you lose the ability to focus further away.  If there is a filter, remove it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your input.  There is nothing attached to the lens.  If I 'screw' the .43x wide angle comverter w/macro, then I am able to see the image.

CDC
Contributor

These lenses were working fine previously.  This is a new sympthom and I am not sure if its operator error or physical damage to the lens.

" If I 'screw' the .43x wide angle comverter w/macro, then I am able to see the image."

OK slowly now, is there anything screwed onto the front of the lens? Anything?  Remove any and all whatevers from the front of the lens.  Is there anything attached to the back of the lens?  Remove it too. You should have just the lens no add ons, no filters, no lenses. Nothing but the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM itself.

Reset your camera to factory.  Menus, tools, clear all settings and clear all custom settings.

Now mount it to your camera and try it. Lens switch in the AF position. Camera in P mode on the dial. ISO 200. One shot mode. Do not use Ai-servo. Go outside on a nice sunny day and take several shots of various subjects.  Maybe a nice park.  If it works, it works and there is nothing wrong with your gear.  If it does not work the lens is faulty. Replace it.

Do the test exactly as I have stated it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements