Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM No Image

[ Edited ]

Canon 70D works fine with other lenses, but with the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM only a very blurry image.  Can see and takes pictures of objects at about 1 inch distance but anything farther apart is blurry.  Help!

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM No Image

What happens when you adjust the focus ring? Anything?
Highlighted
Reputable Contributor

Being an STM lens you will need to switch it to MF then hold the shutter button halfway before turning the lens focus ring. If you can get correct focus in this way but not when it is switched to AF then you very likely have a faulty lens.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Nothing happens when I adjust the focus ring.  There is a white blurry image that seems like it is adjusting, but it never does properly to the point that a clear image can be seen.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response.  I tried your method but still no image.  

This is what I get from any distance farther than 1":

IMG_2366.JPG

Highlighted
VIP

Is there a macro filter on the lens?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Yes: Macro 0.85m/2.8ft

Highlighted
VIP

@CDC wrote:

Yes: Macro 0.85m/2.8ft

That doesn't exactly sound like a lens filter.  A lens filter is something that can be temporarily screwed on to the front of a lens, A macro filter will allow you to focus on objects much closer to the lens than what you could normally do.   Being able to focus one inch from the lens is MUCH closer than the listed Miinimum Focusing Distance specified for that lens.

The price you pay for being able to focus so close is that you lose the ability to focus further away.  If there is a filter, remove it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your input.  There is nothing attached to the lens.  If I 'screw' the .43x wide angle comverter w/macro, then I am able to see the image.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

These lenses were working fine previously.  This is a new sympthom and I am not sure if its operator error or physical damage to the lens.