cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS STM Lens

BigJake93
Contributor
Can the EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS STM Lens be used for macro. The resin I ask is because I am new at macro and don't know if I will enjoy it. So I don't want to get a dedicated lens as of yet. So I figured if I can use this lens for it I can also use it for other things as well expecially if I decided not to peruse macro or if I do wish to this one can still serve a perpus.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I just tried my 55-250mm STM lens with my extension tubes and the Macro results are very good.

Do a search on ebay for "Canon Auto Extension Tubes" and there are all kinds of them available for as little as $20.

Ebay Auto Extension tubes

Here is the uncropped photo taken with my 55-250 STM of a USA quarter that is actually larger than 1:1 lifesize 

IMG_0016_800.jpg

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ScottyP
Authority
Hi Jake.

The 55-250 is not a macro lens, and not even one of the ones that are kind of close to shooting macro.

You can look into extension tubes, which mount along with a lens if you do not want to get a dedicated macro lens.

Dedicated macro lenses are fixed focal length lenses (primes) like 60mm or 90mm or 100mm or 180mm. There are no macro zooms as far as I know.

That does not mean you can't use extension tubes on your zoom lens, it will just be a little tricky. You will want to set a focal length and leave it alone - don't zoom around- or it will change your minimum focus distance which might mess you up. With macro you want a long lens anyway, so just peg the zoom at the 55mm end and leave it alone.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The definition of a macro lens is a lens that can achieve 1:1 magnification.  The image on the sensor is the same size as the object itself. Most true macros are prime lenses.  Macro lenses have a floating element that does not move in and out with the focus in unison with the other elements of the lens.  Most macros are extremely sharp because of the floating element.

Of course the EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS STM Lens meets none of these definitions.  I also would not recommend extension tubes as an alternate choice to a true macro lens.  They introduce some of their own issues especially when used with a EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS STM Lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BigJake93
Contributor
Oh ok thanks guys

I just tried my 55-250mm STM lens with my extension tubes and the Macro results are very good.

Do a search on ebay for "Canon Auto Extension Tubes" and there are all kinds of them available for as little as $20.

Ebay Auto Extension tubes

Here is the uncropped photo taken with my 55-250 STM of a USA quarter that is actually larger than 1:1 lifesize 

IMG_0016_800.jpg

Mike Sowsun

Thanks you Mike Sowsun.

Announcements