cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-S 18-55 IS II autofocus works only at some mm

Danut
Apprentice
My 18-55 lens's autofocus works only in 18mm and 50mm-ish. When it is not in those it retracts all the way up. I tested with another same lens and it worked. I forgot to test my lens on another body.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray-uk
Whiz

Sounds as though you have a broken flexible cable inside the lens, it would cost more to repair than it would to buy a new lens.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ray-uk
Whiz

Sounds as though you have a broken flexible cable inside the lens, it would cost more to repair than it would to buy a new lens.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try this, can't hurt at this point.

1. Take the lens off of your camera.
  2. Put the lens in MF mode.
  3. Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.
  4. Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.
  5. Put the lens back on the camera.
  6. Put the lens in AF mode.
  7. Turn the camera on.
  8. Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.
  9. Take a test photo.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Danut
Apprentice
I tried the 9 step method. I am pretty sure now the flex cable is broken. I might repair myself after i buy another lens

Danut
Apprentice
Yes, i am pretty sure this is. I am going to repair it myself after i buy another lens
Announcements