cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-S 18-135mm IS STM Lens Tube does not automatically extend or retrack

alvill
Apprentice

Hi to everybody, I am new to this forum and also new for a DSLR Camera.

I recently bought a Canon 80D Body and a EF-S 18-135mm IS STM Lens (Canon 80D w/ Kit Lens not available).;

The Tube Lens does not automatically move in anyway, both on photo and video mode when directed into several target or object with different distances or into somebody who moves in and far away to the camera.

I have tried it on almost all Basic and Advance Modes with Servo AF (One Shot and Servo alternately ), also tried all AF Settings (like AF Face+Tracking, FlexiZone Multi and Single), in Live View and in Viewfinder and Servo AF On in Video Mode and also does not work.

As I was searching for information, I found out in the User Manual, that it can be program to retrack the Tube Lens when the Camera is power off, and I tried these and the Lens did not move in.

Do I missed something or there is fault on my Canon Camera or the Lens.

At the moment this is what I only have, The Body and this Lens.

Please, any advice and help.

Thanks.......

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@alvill wrote:

The seller told me that movement is inside. But what I saw in the Youtube, the Lens Tube does move even in a small fraction when the object moves radically or when he moves the camera to imitates that the object moves.

Let's try to get to basics here. This "movement" to which you refer: is it the movement that occurs when the lens focuses or the movement involved in zooming from one focal length to another? If it's the latter, you need to understand that that motion is manual on virtually every DSLR. There may be a few DSLR lenses that have power zoom, but your "kit" lens is not one of them. Be sure that you've carefully read the user manual for your camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There may be some confusion.... 

There are two types basic types of adjustments ... focus and zoom.

The 18-135mm has "internal focus" which means you wont visibly see the lens move as it focuses (the focus elements are moving -- but they're on the inside).  Not all lenses have "internal focus".  Also, the front of the lens wont rotate (a huge advantge when attempting to use either a polarizing filter, gradient neutral density filters, or effects filters).

Then there's "zoom" -- the lens will extend or retract when zooming, but zoom isn't automatic or motorized.  You adjust the zoom yourself by rotating the zoom collar on the lens.

If your lens isn't moving when it focuses... that's normal (that's a feature of the lens -- and it's an advantage to have a lens that works that way).  If the lens isn't focusing (focus motors don't work) that's another issue (make sure auto-focus is active, camera is powered up, and you'll need to "wake" the focus system (this lens is a "focus by wire" system and the focus elements require power to operate... the focus ring on the lens body simply sends input to the computer, but the computer electronics physically move the focus elements - there is no mechnaical linkage between focus ring and focus elements.)  

Zoom is always manual (with every Canon EOS lens). 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Make sure that the lens AF/MF switch is in the AF position.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@ Waddizzel, yes the Lens is at AF, Stabilizer On and the Lens Lock is off.

alvill
Apprentice

The seller told me that movement is inside. But what I saw in the Youtube, the Lens Tube does move even in a small fraction when the object moves radically or when he moves the camera to imitates that the object moves.

@alvill wrote:

Let's try to get to basics here. This "movement" to which you refer: is it the movement that occurs when the lens focuses or the movement involved in zooming from one focal length to another? If it's the latter, you need to understand that that motion is manual on virtually every DSLR. There may be a few DSLR lenses that have power zoom, but your "kit" lens is not one of them. Be sure that you've carefully read the user manual for your camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There may be some confusion.... 

There are two types basic types of adjustments ... focus and zoom.

The 18-135mm has "internal focus" which means you wont visibly see the lens move as it focuses (the focus elements are moving -- but they're on the inside).  Not all lenses have "internal focus".  Also, the front of the lens wont rotate (a huge advantge when attempting to use either a polarizing filter, gradient neutral density filters, or effects filters).

Then there's "zoom" -- the lens will extend or retract when zooming, but zoom isn't automatic or motorized.  You adjust the zoom yourself by rotating the zoom collar on the lens.

If your lens isn't moving when it focuses... that's normal (that's a feature of the lens -- and it's an advantage to have a lens that works that way).  If the lens isn't focusing (focus motors don't work) that's another issue (make sure auto-focus is active, camera is powered up, and you'll need to "wake" the focus system (this lens is a "focus by wire" system and the focus elements require power to operate... the focus ring on the lens body simply sends input to the computer, but the computer electronics physically move the focus elements - there is no mechnaical linkage between focus ring and focus elements.)  

Zoom is always manual (with every Canon EOS lens). 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements