cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-M shooters, what are you hoping for from Canon?

FelixCaleb
Apprentice

The rumors are going around that Canon is going to kill the EOS-M line again (I'm not really putting any base in them, but besides the point). But it does beg the point, on what other people who use these are hoping out of the line.

I'm pretty satisfied with my M5, I'm gonna add a good tele to my lineup. More native lenses would be nice, but I have a lot covered and I can get more later. I was gonna get into sports photography when my Uni does that again, it would be cool if they had a faster M5 successor with dual cars and IBIS and all the fixings if mine isn't enough, but there are other options for that (7D II, 1DX) that need not be compact. it isn't the end of the world.

I don't think it makes sense for Canon to kill off the line, with the M50 being a popular camera for video and vlogging. EF-M has 9 first party lenses at the moment, and EF-S only got 12 first party ones so if they're keeping the line around for entry level cameras that isn't the end of the world.

I could see the point in a APS-C RF camera and keeping the line around if that's strictly for sports/pro level things. Anyone who'd go for that isn't gonna wanna bother with a 15-45 and is probably gonna have stake in EF or RF glass.

I know a lot of people were disappointed on M50 II, is anyone else hoping for a camera with a built in EVF and the 32mp sensor? I saw some people go towards the R Series for future proofing. I'm curious to see what y'all think on the matter.

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I think RF lenses will ultimately dictate the direction of Canon's mirrorless line up.  You are already talking about a successor with IBIS and dual card slots....  which I doubt will be part of the M Line.

We already know Canon will release something in between the RP and R6, and if the rumors hold true, an APC-C mirrorless...  which will likely render the M line superfluous.  

You said, "I don't think it makes sense for Canon to kill off the line"...  Well, I do.  The future is RF.

My advice is not to invest further, but thats up to you.  

Most of us already believe its a dead end.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'm curious to see what y'all think on the matter."

Let it die a peaceful death!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Quiet
Enthusiast

I'd sure like to see a fast 85 or 90 for M-mount (especially a light weight one) but I know it won't happen. Nevertheless, I'm enamored with my M5 and what its focus peaking allows me to do with adapted manual lenses.

I see no need to spend for full frame and at 66 will be content with APS-C till I go to the happy hunting ground! 😄

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@FelixCaleb wrote:

The rumors are going around that Canon is going to kill the EOS-M line again (I'm not really putting any base in them, but besides the point). But it does beg the point, on what other people who use these are hoping out of the line.

I'm pretty satisfied with my M5, I'm gonna add a good tele to my lineup. More native lenses would be nice, but I have a lot covered and I can get more later. I was gonna get into sports photography when my Uni does that again, it would be cool if they had a faster M5 successor with dual cars and IBIS and all the fixings if mine isn't enough, but there are other options for that (7D II, 1DX) that need not be compact. it isn't the end of the world.

I don't think it makes sense for Canon to kill off the line, with the M50 being a popular camera for video and vlogging. EF-M has 9 first party lenses at the moment, and EF-S only got 12 first party ones so if they're keeping the line around for entry level cameras that isn't the end of the world.

I could see the point in a APS-C RF camera and keeping the line around if that's strictly for sports/pro level things. Anyone who'd go for that isn't gonna wanna bother with a 15-45 and is probably gonna have stake in EF or RF glass.

I know a lot of people were disappointed on M50 II, is anyone else hoping for a camera with a built in EVF and the 32mp sensor? I saw some people go towards the R Series for future proofing. I'm curious to see what y'all think on the matter.

I have 3 x EOS M5's and almost all of the native EF-M lenses (except the 28mm macro unit).  I chose the M-5 over the M50 because I consider it more of a still photographer's camera - for example, it has an EV dial on the top, which the M-50 does not. While the M-50 had some upgrades, it really needed them to perform as a video/vlogger's camera, and it did that very well. Yes, the M-50MkII was more hype than substance, I believe.  The M-5 was pretty much equivalent to the EOS 80D and that is still a good camera IMHO.  There have been rumors of an M-7, in the same format as the M-5 (i.e. with built-in EVG) with the same specs as the EOS 90D, but possibly incorporating IBIS, eye tracking and a few other features currently seen on the R-series. It is also suggested that it will have a fully-articulating screen (hurray!).

If that was the case I would consider it seriously, as I use these cameras when I go on multi-day hikes or times when a larger camera would be deemed inappropriate.  There is also a suggestion of some more EF-M glass, including a 70-300 lens, something that would be very welcome as I tend to shoot longer focal lengths.

I think the M and R series serve two completly different markets and it would be a shame to abruptly shut the ecosystem down, but it's a challenging market out there, so only time and Canon will tell...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements