cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF Extender 2x III teleconverter

Gila_Monster
Apprentice

I am considering getting the Canon EF Extender 2x III to use with my Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM lens.  I can't afford the Canon 800mm L lens, so I am thinking of the teleconverter.  In reading reviews I have seen some that say it is very sharp and others that say it is not.  What experience have forum members had?

3 REPLIES 3

Nick_Prime
Apprentice

I recently purchased the 100-400 and already had the 2xIII.  My first impression was, wow, what a handfull!  I am using a T3i and so far, other than not seeing the AF register lights or hearing the sound associated eith it being in focus, I am pleased after 2 weeks of use.

stubby
Apprentice

I also have the 100-400L and the 2xIII. I rarely use that combination when shooting with the 5dIII as you are very limited on apperature. I don't know which body you are using, but you will be at f/9 when shooting at 400mm on the lens, so you will need good light and a rather fast shutter to have decent photos.

As for photo quality, you will lose some IQ when using the 2x TC. You can still have sharp photos, but I guess it depends upon your skills, available light and shutter speed. Also remember that you will lose autofocus with this combination.

What are you intending to shoot with this setup?

Thanks for the replies.  I am using a 1Ds Mark III.  I want to shoot wildlife, especially birds.

Announcements